1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Factory speaker replacement????

Discussion in '1Gen Audio & Electronics' started by Jim Smola, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Jim Smola

Jim Smola Active Member

So who else has replaced the factory 2 ohm door speakers with after market 2ohm speakers? I found it very difficult to find many options when it came to aftermarket 2 ohm speakers. By using 2 ohm, I was able to retain the factory amplifiers.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  2. Jim Smola

Jim Smola Active Member

IMG_7451.PNG Here are the JBL speakers that I used for the rear doors. I have been very happy with them.

As for the front speakers, they are a very strange size. About an 8" opening. The factory speaker is a 6.5" but they have a built in bracket that makes the speaker fit in the big opening. The easy thing to do is to get another set of the Jbl GTO speakers and make an adapter to get them to fit in the bigstock opening. Well it's not very easy.
    I found a set of 2 ohm 7" mid bass drivers that I made an adapter for. I'll post up the brand once I remember what it is. Also the front door has about a 3" midrange speaker that I left in and continue to use. As for the two front tweeters, I used some silk domes which are smoother sounding than the factory ones.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  3. cddallara

cddallara Member

Curious as to front door replacements, as one is starting to cackle.
    I'll keep an eye on the thread.

4. Jim Smola

Jim Smola Active Member

Yes my front surrounds on mine were deteriorated and were worthless. I made my adapters for the front out of some thick aluminum sheet.

5. cddallara

cddallara Member

6. Jim Smola

Jim Smola Active Member

7. cddallara

cddallara Member

Jim Smola likes this.
  8. Jim Smola

Jim Smola Active Member

9. DriverNumber22

DriverNumber22 New Member

Ok so I had to deal with this...Long story short my lessons learned...My goal is just speaker replacement, not a fancy system.
    You do not need a new amp. The amps wont work with the stock head unit.

I tried both 2 ohm speakers and 4 ohm and the 4 ohm sounded a TAD better. I went with some kenwoods. I had to custom make a bracket which was cake with plexi glass. 4 ohm WILL work with your stock amp, just like a 2 ohm.

Jim Smola likes this.
  10. paulstoute

paulstoute Administrator Staff Member

I'm interested to see how they do. Those are the one's I've been looking to get as well.

That's good to know. The JBL system has all the local car audio shops freaked out without adding an extra $100 bypass module or $300 amp... so I'm glad to hear it works.

11. cddallara

cddallara Member

Speakers arrived late last week and adapters shipped Saturday. Pics will be up when I get a chance to tear in to it.

Jim Smola likes this.
  12. paulstoute

paulstoute Administrator Staff Member

Can't wait to see it!

13. Rhodey

Rhodey New Member

BenK and Jim Smola like this.
  14. jwaring66

jwaring66 Member

So is it best to use 2 ohm speakers if possible because the factory speakers are 2 ohm? I don't know much about these amps but it sounds like 4 ohms would work as long as they are standard parallel wired?

15. Rezkid

Rezkid New Member

Reviving an old thread but I found an off the shelf option for speakers that may work with the factory JBL head unit for those of us that haven’t replaced it yet. Picked up a pair of JBL GX602’s from my local Best Buy, who happened to have them on sale for $79+tax (these are cheaper on Amazon but I had a gift card). These are a 6.5” design with a 2.3 ohm impedance which is pretty close to the factory 2 ohm units...which hopefully will mean decent performance over the factory units. I’ll be mounting these using the MJM adapter for the 2000-2006 Tundra/Sequoia and Metra wiring adapters to retain the factory connectors.

I’ll up date later this week once I have everything thing mounted & tested, but my hope is that this will be a decent replacement/ upgrade without spending some serious coin on new amps/component speakers & head unit.

MJM Speaker Adapters:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01A7IJ4TC

Metra Wiring Adapters:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002BBP7Y

JBL GX602 2 Way Speakers:
    https://www.amazon.com/JBL-GX602-2-Way-Coaxial-Loudspeakers/dp/B00O8MULHI/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1530462047&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=jbl+gx602&dpPl=1&dpID=51Yi82h+NWL&ref=plSrch

JRock704 likes this.
  16. JRock704

JRock704 New Member

I would be interested to hear how you like the GX602's. Seems like an easy switch once you get all the parts.

17. Whocares

Whocares Member

18. JRock704

JRock704 New Member

Thanks, I found a good deal on the GX602 online so I want to hear how they worked with the factory HU and amp

19. Rezkid

Rezkid New Member

Sound is decent but lacks the low end punch of the factory component setup. Unless you found them for cheap you might be better off going with a component setup like others have.

20. Trent Jones

Trent Jones New Member

looking into the replacement kit as first option. It looks like it's down to 28 dollars now.