Factory speaker replacement????

Youknowbosco

Aug 19, 2018
If keeping the old head unit I would try to repair speakers or find a 2 ohm speaker. If replacing the headunit, I would opt for upgrading speakers. Don’t throw away the old front speakers as you can cut the metal brackets off the old speakers and screw them to the new speaker mounts and put back in factory holes. Use silicone sealant around the speaker gap before reinstalling.

Chase

Jul 14, 2018
What has anyone done as far as head unit replacement? I have an 06 and want to put a Bluetooth capable head unit in and replace front speakers because they are blown. I’m worried about sound quality though. I don’t Want a “system” I just want it to sound like stock or a touch better. I’m the past though when I’ve dkne aftermarket units the levels are all off and it doesn’t sound very good. Sounds like I have enough info from this thread for the speakers but curious about the head unit. Any info is appreciated

dstgean

Dec 1, 2017
Dealing with this myself at the moment. I bought an '03 with a bluetooth Kenwood headunit. Levels are not balanced left to right, so I'm a bit down on power. Once I balanced it out to compensate for the lower power output, it sounds pretty good with some aftermarket speakers fixing the blown JBL's. If you really want it perfect, you'll want to run all new power to an aftermarket amp and then out to the speakers.

caseyatbt

Oct 5, 2018
Reviving an old thread but I found an off the shelf option for speakers that may work with the factory JBL head unit for those of us that haven’t replaced it yet. Picked up a pair of JBL GX602’s from my local Best Buy, who happened to have them on sale for $79+tax (these are cheaper on Amazon but I had a gift card). These are a 6.5” design with a 2.3 ohm impedance which is pretty close to the factory 2 ohm units...which hopefully will mean decent performance over the factory units. I’ll be mounting these using the MJM adapter for the 2000-2006 Tundra/Sequoia and Metra wiring adapters to retain the factory connectors.

I’ll up date later this week once I have everything thing mounted & tested, but my hope is that this will be a decent replacement/ upgrade without spending some serious coin on new amps/component speakers & head unit.

MJM Speaker Adapters:

Metra Wiring Adapters:

JBL GX602 2 Way Speakers:

What year do you have? I have a 2002 and Amazon says that the wiring adapters won't work on my year.

dstgean

Dec 1, 2017
I believe there are two separate amps that don't much like to play with aftermarket headunits.

caseyatbt

Oct 5, 2018
I believe there are two separate amps that don't much like to play with aftermarket headunits.

So, I am guessing if you replace the head unit you cannot use the existing harnesses so you avoid the amps? Does anyone know where are the amps located?

dstgean

Dec 1, 2017
I bought mine with a cheap aftermarket Kenwood already installed. It works pretty well, but I have almost double the power to the driver's side and had to balance the heck out of it to sound decent--just down on power. I theink the factory head unit sends a signal to the amp that the Kenwood is not. Not complaining though, as the previous owner replaced the factory tweets and mid bass in the front, and I've replaced the rear components. Just need to add a sub and it'll sound pretty good. My other option is lots of work: pull the whole thing apart and run new power to an amp, headunit, and speakers.

Reactions: Lan Skaff

Cassequoia

Nov 2, 2018
PNW
Replaced factory jbl radio with Pioneer Model:FH-S501BT (Cheapest Bluetooth double din $110) and used the Metra 70-8113 harness adapter ($16). Maintained use of factory amps.
Stereo didnt work when I bought it and today was first time hearing speakers. Only light static from rears and lower fronts sound rough.

Just ordered PowerBass L2-700. They are a 2 ohm 7inch woofer marketed as direct oe replacement style speakers. $50 on amazon. Will update when they arrive and I get a chance to install.

Any recommendations for the lower front door midrange if that also happens to be shot?

Thanks

caseyatbt

Oct 5, 2018
Are you putting the PowerBass in the rear doors or the front? When you talk about front mids being shot, those seem to hold up well, they are a 3" speaker that I haven't really found a replacement for.

caseyatbt

Oct 5, 2018
I would see how it sounds after replacing the speakers you ordered. From everything I have read, those are most likely the culprits and the mids are usually fine. But, it would be nice to find a replacement for them should the day come they need replacing. I wish I had found the PowerBass that you ordered before I replaced mine with the Infiniti's that a few people here have used. They sound great but I also had to get an adapter and I would have saved money in the end.
Keep us posted on how the PowerBass sound.

Louie

Nov 7, 2018
Hello everyone, it's nice to find this thread and join the forum. I just finished some work so here's my setup and experience gained!
1) Below is my setup.
2) I have a question on front door replacement options.

1)
I have a 2007 Sequoia with the JBL system and had the issue of the front right door speaker sounding like it's cutting out. So I set out to upgrade. I didn't like the Bluetooth adapters that plug in so my main priority was a head unit with Bluetooth for Pandora and Spotify. So here's what I did:

- JVC KD-X350BTS 1-Din Car Digital Media Bluetooth Receiver USB/iPhone/SiriusXM($71) Awesome purchase. It has pre-amp outputs and was ready for my 10" sub and its dedicated 500 watt amp.
- Metra TYTO-01 JBL Amplifier Interface Harness (because it's the JBL system this is the harness needed that makes use of the stock amp)

So I installed this into the factory setup and likely due to the front right speaker being bad it sounded horrible, I couldn't get the bass to sound decent, sound quality was difficult to reign in. I lowered the speaker size setting on the head unit to 5" door speakers so the bass strength was reduced. However... I had my sub and amp and went to work installing them. End result was awesome as the sub took care of the bass needs and now the fronts and rears didn't have to bass sent to them. Now I love my setup and the bass is way more than necessary.

- Sony XM-2002GTR 2-channel amplifier
- SoundBox Connected True 4 Gauge Amp Install Kit AWG Amplifier Wiring Complete Cable-SuperFlex 3500W Extra Long 20 Ft. Power Wire (20 foot length was key for the Sequoia, don't go shorter)
- Alpine Type R 10" sub in an enclosed box
- Auto-Vox M6 front mirror cam and rear reverse cam (it was difficult to sort out but finally I have it wired, holy sheet!)

2) I purchased the Rockford R165-S R1 Prime 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System but damn they're small (even the magnet) compared to the stock speaker. The door panel has a such a huge opening I don't understand why the websites only show 6.5" speakers being the largest options. This speaker is only 5" in diameter (6" with the surrounding frame), what's up with that. I'd need to create an adapter just to fit the larger opening available in the door. SO............. my question, what's the largest size speaker I could fit in the door's existing mounting piece? The diameter of the opening in the door is 7", and the speaker from end of foam to end of foam is 7.5".

By the way, this speaker connector (Metra 72-8104 Speaker Connector for Select Toyota Vehicles) does not fit what goes to my front door speakers.

So a 6.75-7" inch speaker should be easy to fit into the existing bracket. Anyone recently go with something larger than the recommended 6.5"? If you have questions on wiring the amp, the Metra harness, or the reverse cam let me know. I now have more experience than I planned to get from this install!

Thanks everyone.

caseyatbt

Oct 5, 2018
Just ordered PowerBass L2-700. They are a 2 ohm 7inch woofer marketed as direct oe replacement style speakers. $50 on amazon. Will update when they arrive and I get a chance to install.

Have these arrived yet? I am very curious how they sound. I also want to know how they fit since Crutchfield says they won't fit.

Last edited:

dlev07

Dec 8, 2018
i ordered power bass 7in woofers for my front door they are 2ohm.. they are slightly larger but new drill holes they fit np. im new to the forum and new to my sequoia so im not allowed to post a link to the speakers i found a set cheap on crutchfield. ill give you guys my opinion of how they sound vs the old ones when i get around to do the install... its been cold here. yet i might not have heard my system at its potential b4 to give the best feedback how they preform.

Reactions: Faultedman85

Trent Jones

Jul 13, 2018
Charlotte, NC
They sound great! I used a ceiling can light baffle as a holder. Also used some rubber door trim underneath.
c3357fefcf0408b9df415eb12ef1f826.jpg
062bb0abf6e2f9027de63fc432c997ef.jpg
7174dfc18d507ae87aca4e0f6019fbfa.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Faultedman85

Meoshe

Dec 1, 2018
I just got these speakers and was wondering if you remember what size/brand baffle you used. Kind of want to order these online.
They sound great! I used a ceiling can light baffle as a holder. Also used some rubber door trim underneath.