Winch????

Sequioa4x4

Jun 9, 2017
I'm in the market for a winch and am curious if anyone has taken chances on the off brands that you see online? And curious too if 10,000 lb is enough for the first gen?

Sequoia4WD

Staff member
Dec 29, 2016
Biloxi, MS
10,000lbs is probably enough especially if you always carry a snatch block.

1.5 × vehicle weight fully loaded is the general rule. Do the math for your setup including all gear and passengers.

Stay away from cheap no name winches.

Your winch is a tool that has to work when nothing else will. Invest in quality equipment you can trust to work when you need it to.

I did alot of research before purchasing mine. Went with a ComeUp Seal gen2.
Great warranty and solid reputation of reliability.
ComeUp basic wire rope models can be had under $600

Another great option that can be found in the under $500 range is Super Winch.

If you can't find a 10k in your price range I would buy a 9.5k or 8k from a quality manufacturer before I'd waste money on a cheap no name, no warranty winch. Just make sure you always have at least one snatch block and use it.
20170521_174033.jpg

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sequioa4x4

Sequoia4WD

Staff member
Dec 29, 2016
Biloxi, MS
Super Winch is an excellent value. Almost got one myself but the warranty on ComeUp is better and thier customer service is outstanding.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sequioa4x4

Sequioa4x4

Jun 9, 2017
I need to compare the warranties. Haven't gotten that far yet. By the way I'm huntin down those spacers for my next tire buy. Rig looks good.

Reactions: Sequoia4WD

Deadman Offroad

Feb 14, 2017
Escondido, CA
www.deadmanoffroad.com
I have had a Comeup winch on my land cruiser and it was very good. I am definitely going to go with them again with my Sequoia build. I convinced my business partner to get one as well and we must have pulled his winch line over 50 times since he got it in March, kinda comes with the territory when testing recovery gear. It has been a great winch and has never shown signs of wanting to quit.

Sequoia4WD is right, your winch is not something you want to fail on you. When you are needing to use your winch, that usually means something is not right and a failure there would mean you are SOL. Go with a brand that has a good reputation. Comeup is not well known yet in the US because they have only recently come over here, but they are very well known in the rest of the world. Superwinch has a great rep as well. and of course there is always Warn.