Weird electrical issues, Help!

ghs11011

Sep 23, 2017
I have an 05 Sequoia Limited. I start the engine, the outside air temperature isn't reading, the doors won't lock when placed in gear, the engine coolant temperature gauge isn't reading, and the dash illumination comes on after truck is started (headlights are off). All of these things work when the key is turned to run with the engine off. Also the tilt button doesn't work which may or may not have been that way before. I don't open the sunroof much. I'm lost, I don't even know where to begin. Any ideas? Thanks

masterwayne74

Jul 4, 2017
Ok many of these things sound normal to me with the exception of the outside temperature not reading and the sunroof tilt. And others I believe you can change the settings or they are optional equipment.

1. Outside Temperature Sensor.... Does it show a number but just doesn't change temperature? Does it read dashes? What does the display read exactly?

2. Doors won't lock when placed in gear.... Check the owner's manual there may be a way to activate/deactivate this. And are you saying that they were working before or someone told you that's what it's supposed to do? Is there an after market alarm wired into the locks? Have you had the battery replaced or had any other repairs done before it stopped working?

3. Engine coolant temperature gauge isn't reading... What do you mean by this? The ECT sensor won't read until the engine starts to warm up. So are you saying you have ran the engine for at least 15 minutes and it still won't read, needle won't move?

4. Dash illumination comes on after truck is started.... This is not unusual, especially if you have automatic headlights with a light sensor on the dash.

Last edited: