Sequoia Towing ?'s

sgmineha

Oct 16, 2023
I am seriously considering trading my 2008 Tundra (5.7 Sr5 + Tow Pkg) and the family minivan for a 2nd Gen Sequoia Platinum. I use the Tundra primarily for towing my racecar (20' enclosed trailer, ~5500-6000# loaded), and the minivan as a comfortable vehicle for the family - hoping to consolidate the 2 purposes with the Sequoia and then get something a little more 'fun' or practical for my everyday needs. My Tundra's tow pkg includes a transmission cooler, but couldn't figure out if there was an option for that on the Sequoia, if it was standard, or what... Anybody have any experience towing an enclosed trailer about that size and can offer some advice on if it's a good idea or not to move away from the longer Tundra? Most of the towing is long distance, highway driving. FWIW, I do have a WSD. Any benefit of the 2WD version for towing or is it the same as 4WD? Thanks in advance for your help!

Flank

Oct 19, 2019
Understanding all of the comforts of the SUV vs Pickup, I would look to add a trans cooler to the sequoia to do this. I tow a box trailer 6x12 that only weighs about 2000 lbs, perhaps 3500 loaded, and I have had several incidents where my trans temps have climbed almost to red line over distances when going against the wind. I asked my mechanic about it, if it was an issue with the fluid - he said probably not, and that the fluid in the trans looked good. I would be wary doing distance with that large / heavy of a trailer. I love the 5.7l, heaps gain over my old 4.7 gen 1, but I still think additional cooling is mandatory for that load.