Rear window open mysteriously?

eaglerockdude

Jul 9, 2019
I have noticed once in awhile, I find my rear window open. Not really using the vehicle most of the time. Its just parked. The first time I thought maybe somebody broke into the vehicle. I have noticed it maybe 5 times now.

Anybody ever have this issue? Is somehow the window opening on its own due to some electrical issue or glitch?

Nelot

Oct 17, 2018
I have noticed once in awhile, I find my rear window open. Not really using the vehicle most of the time. Its just parked. The first time I thought maybe somebody broke into the vehicle. I have noticed it maybe 5 times now.

Anybody ever have this issue? Is somehow the window opening on its own due to some electrical issue or glitch?
If you have the factory key fob, then you may be accidentally holding the window down button in your pocket. It's happened to me before. If it’s an old fob, then that could be the source of your glitch. Consider replacing it.

I’ve had some replacements off Amazon for some time now. I believe there is a how-to guide for programming the new remotes on here.

eaglerockdude

Jul 9, 2019
I don't think thats it. I do have probably 6 FOB's from remoteremotes.com all work pretty well. I called my mechanic who specializes in Toyotas(he has the Lexus with the same engine etc) and they said they have heard of the issue...need to replace the switch. I also found a few other reports of it online with various hack job solutions like disconnecting the wire. So not sure if what the mechanic said is correct. He said the switch next to the steering wheel is bad. If if starts causing an issue I will start my quest again. :>_

aguison

Jan 29, 2023
If it were me, I would look at the following in this order:
1. Key fob being pressed accidentally (as eaglerockdude pointed out) - similar to butt phone call but this time you're pressing the rear window. Try keeping the fob not in your pants but a shirt pocket or somewhere you can't press it unintentionally
2. Key fob could be defective - circuit could have intermittent short. If you have 2 fobs, just use one and remove the battery on the second to isolate if any of them are causing the issue
3. The rear window switch on the dashboard (to the left of steering wheel) - could have loose wire or shorting for a little bit which opens the window. It easy to remove that one and check it with a tester.
4. The final one which is the worst but most unlikely is there is an intermittent short in the electrical of the rear window motor causing it to open a little bit erratically. This would be the last thing I would check if 1, 2 and 3 are all good.