1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear height control

Discussion in '1Gen Steering & Suspension' started by 1down4up, Jan 13, 2017.

1. 1down4up

1down4up New Member

I just bought an 06 sequoia limited that came with the factory rear height control. Is there a way to bypass the saftey that lowered it back to neutral when driving? I tried searching it and didn't come up with much. Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Jim Smola likes this.
  2. izzyzlat

izzyzlat New Member

I have a 4Runner with the adjustable rear suspension so I will assume it's similar in the sequoia. When one of my sensors went out, the rear lowers to the Low position by default making it bouncy as hell. Instead of getting he $250+ sensor replaced, I set the desired height and pulled the fuse for the air control system.

The height stays at whatever I set it at. The only issue is, with the fuse removed the "off" light under the height indicator flashes and there is no up and down adjustment. If you want to change the height again, you'll have to put the fuse back in, adjust the height and pull fuse again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. paulstoute

paulstoute Administrator Staff Member

If you wanted to drop some money, you can swap out to a standard non-air suspension set up, but that requires new springs, struts, and possibly coil bucket... I haven't had an opportunity to look under one to get a true list of parts needed though.

4. XPLORx4

XPLORx4 New Member

To replace the AHC air bags with coil springs, you only need the replacement coil springs and new spring insulators (p/n 483130C010). They cost about $140 each new, or you can source them at a wrecking yard. Of course, you'd also need to disable the AHC system.

paulstoute likes this.
  5. AdvancedSR5

AdvancedSR5 New Member

So seeing as I would love to eliminate the rear air bags all together. The isolator idea seems brilliant. But is there a rear spring perch on the top that it would bolt to? Or is that an isolator for the bottom perch? And has anyone put together a build list to do the swap on a sequoia? I've only seen them for the gx470 and it's all land cruiser parts used. Any help from you fine folks would be great

6. Viol8r44

Viol8r44 New Member

The spring insulators...do they just bolt up to the top where the air lines go thru? Sorry if this is a dumb question, its for my wifes Sequoia and we have been quoted $1000 to replace the air bags and I'm trying to see if I can do this myself...I have swapped shocks and springs on my TLC 80 with no problem but never messed with an AHC system. I'm hoping I can just bolt something up and put some stock springs on and thats that. I dont want to deal with the air bags anymore, and I cant seem to find a good solid answer on the coil spring swap anywhere. Any help will surely be appreciated.

7. AdvancedSR5

AdvancedSR5 New Member

So what I did is I ordered all the parts new and then I decided to go to the junk yard and see what I could find. Dumb move . I found a much older sequoia and yanked the springs and retainers off it and figured for $80 it wasn’t to big of a deal and I could return them for lot credit if I needed to. There is a small tab holding the bags in place that u remove. And then just yank them suckers out. Air lines and all. The retainers snugged right up in there no bolts just the weight of the vehicle and spring tension. It’s common sense at that point. I returned the brand new ones I bought so now I’m only $80 in the hole. I will say it was much easier with 2 people aligning the springs. Also you don’t need a lower spring retainer cup like the 4runners do so don’t sweat that. My lessons learned was now the “manual” light flashes for the air system and no relay or fuse can make it go away. And second is that the springs from the junk yard weren’t the 3rd row / towing rates springs. So....... I know when there is a full vehicle because I’ll hit the bump stops on large bumps. Hope all that helps. If not let me know.

Viol8r44 likes this.
  8. Viol8r44

Viol8r44 New Member

Great info thank you very much