Phone mount?

KPack

Jan 13, 2019
What's everyone doing for phone mounts? I just picked up a well-maintained 2019 Limited and I'm not seeing many mounts made for the facelifted Sequoia. Not many good places to mount one either. I just need somewhere (preferably on the right side of the steering wheel) to mount a RAM ball that isn't covering the vent.

ErofuSane

Oct 11, 2023
Not wanting to block the right air register, I tried to stick a phone mount above the hazard button using two sided 3M tape. Held for a day or so but pulled apart. Mine was heavy since I had the magnetic charger attachment - running the wires was pretty easy.
I like that area since it's within eyesight, doesn't block the windshield or the air coming out of the right side.

I'm thinking about a thin sheet of metal to tuck in between the dash top and bent down in that same area. Prefer not to drill any holes so bracing in this way might put the phone in the area I want with added strength.

ErofuSane

Oct 11, 2023
UPDATE - I was able to get a good solution to this for the 18,19, and 2020 Sequoia.
1. Using a flat metal bracket (approx 2"x6'"), I bent one end at 90 degrees and in the shape of the top dash above where the chrome trim (directly above the hazard button). When bending the 90 degrees, angle slightly off center in your vice to match the shape of the dash allows for this to be more vertical.
2. Depending on your phone mount, you may need to trim off about an inch of the non-bent end of your metal bracket.
3. Cover the bent part with painters tape since this will be wedged in between the dash trim and top dash. Cover the rest in black flex-seal.
4. Attach your phone mount and file the screw points down flat as you can so as to not scratch your dash.
5. Use 3M two sided tape where the metal meets the dash.

The 3M and wedge-in-dash make for a very strong and stable mount.

Didn't want to drill holes for the wire so affixed them to the dash and ran behind the lower cowl to a power source.

Can get to the hazard button, there's plenty of clearance to work the wiper wand, and nothing in the way of the right air register.

Hope this helps. IMG_7625.jpgIMG_7626.jpgIMG_7624.jpgIMG_7621.jpgIMG_7623.jpg

Flank

Oct 19, 2019
Good solution. However Scosche also makes a mount that will do the same thing and eliminates your metal plate. I've used it in both my Sequoias, my Land Cruiser, and my wife's GMC. uses the same 3M mounting tape and will adapt to any angle you need. I had concerns about its strength, but it has held my iphone for years.

ErofuSane

Oct 11, 2023
Good solution. However Scosche also makes a mount that will do the same thing and eliminates your metal plate. I've used it in both my Sequoias, my Land Cruiser, and my wife's GMC. uses the same 3M mounting tape and will adapt to any angle you need. I had concerns about its strength, but it has held my iphone for years.
Thanks Much - I tried that option but it couldn't take the weight of the charger and phone and peeled off. Here in the south, the cabin heats up even in the later months.