Inherited a 2003 Sequoia with a lift gate that won't open.

JonnyLiftgate

Oct 6, 2023
Good Morning, I recently inherited a 2003 Sequoia SR5 in August 2023. Driver door window failed to go down in cold weather (<45°F) and also couldn't power down any other windows in normal weather from master control. Liftgate wouldn't open. I replaced the master control unit for the windows and locks. I can now control all the windows, but the doors won't lock unless vehicle is powered on. I replaced the lift gate handle, latch cable, and lock actuator, closed the lift gate, and couldn't get it back open. Took it to the Toyota Dealership and they wanted over $600 to fix the lift gate. I can't afford that. The other day I ran over a huge screw and popped the tire, and realized I couldn't access the spare tire unless the lift gate was open. I was able to get the lift gate open, after destroying and bending the actuator and latch cable, and saw that the dealership, during their diagnosis of the liftgate issues, didn't replace the latch bolts. (see image) I'm going to try replacing it all again. I'm wondering if there is an electrical issue with the lift gate lock actuator that caused it to fail. I'm open to suggestions for fixes with any power locks on master control or lift gate issues that are known.

Sequoia Latch missing bolts.jpg