Hi from HTX. On my 3rd 1st Gen, finally got it right. 07 SR5 4WD <200k miles but 12.5mpg??

thisguyfawkes

Sep 19, 2023
Hi Y'all! Thanks for reading, this is my third sequoia, all first-gens. The first one was an 02 2WD, had no radio, no power steering (rack, no $$) and I traded it away. The second was an 04 and was super nice aesthetically, but 2WD... Sold that one to a very nice young family after doing TONS of maintenance on it and some dickhead stealing the cats.

NOW I have my dream-Sequoia. It is an 07 so it has airbags in the first and second row, and despite being SR5 trim, it has leather seats with the front heated. The push-button 4WD has hi and lo range and there is even an electronic locking center differential. I drove from Houston to Austin to get it after searching CL for months to find it. Upon purchase, I immediately took the new rig on a 5k mile roadtrip averaging a dismal 12.5mpg without a whole lot of time idling. This is weird to me because my other two got 15 around the city and I would swear one got almost 20mpg on a roadtrip.

Open to thoughts on why it performs so poorly for not being lifted or modified. It just passed safety/emissions inspection in TX before the trip and had an oil change in California at a Toyota dealership who performed a detailed systems check as well noting only that the MAF reading seemed higher than it should have been. There is a weird MAF-connected box that turns on the CEL when disconnected. The tech said to leave it hooked up then since it worked fine as-is.

The spark plugs look fine but are gapped a little far, the coils were replaced before the trip (5kish) and one just failed last week so I replaced it with one of the coils that were removed before the trip. The exhaust sounds loud, in a roaring wind kind of way, not a making shitloads of power kind of roar and I wonder if the cats could be nearing the end of their service life...

Attachments

• 20230628_195640.jpg
    20230628_195640.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1