Cruise control shut off

Ripley22

Dec 14, 2022
I have an 02' 2WD SR5, 271K miles, the cruise control will kick off on some very slight bumps in the road. Other times it is fine. But get on a medium-long haul and it may kick off 10 times in 5 minutes. The cruise light also blinks at times and during that time the cruise doesn't work at all. Anyone experience this, and a fix? Thanks!

Last edited:

ecbennett

Apr 15, 2022
I have an 02' 2WD SR5, 271K miles, the cruise control will kick off on some very slight bumps in the road. Other times it is fine. Techs can't find anything unusual as it usually works fine for them. But get on a medium-long haul and it may kick off 10 times in 5 minutes. The cruise light also blinks at times and during that time the cruise doesn't work at all. Anyone experience this, and a fix? Thanks!
The shutting off multiple times sounds different than an issue I had, but the flashing is something that I dealt with.

Have you ever cleaned your MAF sensor? I cleaned mine and the light flashed for a short drive until the cleaner I used completely dried off.

xtandad

Sep 20, 2021
I just dealt with this last winter. Turns out the the brake light switch just needed to be re-adjusted. Apparently there is a point where the switch will not activate the lights, but will kick off the cruise control. Obviously if you tap the brake pedal, the cruise control will turn off. The switch is pretty sensitive I found out, and it took my wife and myself to get it adjusted properly. Let me explain, if adjusted too far out, you can actually be stopped say at a stop sign or light, and if you are only lightly pressing the pedal to hold the vehicle in stopped position, the brakes may be activated enough to hold the vehicle, but the pedal may not be depressed enough to activate the switch to energize the brake lights, I found this out by adjusting the switch too far out initially. Therefore I was under the dash a lot with my wife watching the rear of the vehicle to make sure the lights would activate when I would press the pedal by hand, with light to moderate effort. A couple of test drives in between to check the cruise issue and voila! no more shut-off. Not difficult at all if you have just a bit of mechanical know how, you just have to take your time and be patient (even though in reality it only took about 15-20 minutes to fix, at no cost). It only took 1/4 to 1/2 turn on the shaft to get it to stop activation of the brake light switch while driving down the road. Have had zero problems since this adjustment.
I too have 268K on the Tree, we use the vehicle as an overlander and have put many miles off road, which I suspect is the reason the brake switch began acting up due to all the bouncing about.

I hope this post helps you and others deal with this frustrating issue effectively.

Attachments

• brake switch.jpg
    brake switch.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 1

Ripley22

Dec 14, 2022
The shutting off multiple times sounds different than an issue I had, but the flashing is something that I dealt with.

Have you ever cleaned your MAF sensor? I cleaned mine and the light flashed for a short drive until the cleaner I used completely dried off.
I keep on top of the Air flow sensor and clean it about every 6 months. Thanks for the reply, plus I'll take a look to be sure.

Ripley22

Dec 14, 2022
I just dealt with this last winter. Turns out the the brake light switch just needed to be re-adjusted. Apparently there is a point where the switch will not activate the lights, but will kick off the cruise control. Obviously if you tap the brake pedal, the cruise control will turn off. The switch is pretty sensitive I found out, and it took my wife and myself to get it adjusted properly. Let me explain, if adjusted too far out, you can actually be stopped say at a stop sign or light, and if you are only lightly pressing the pedal to hold the vehicle in stopped position, the brakes may be activated enough to hold the vehicle, but the pedal may not be depressed enough to activate the switch to energize the brake lights, I found this out by adjusting the switch too far out initially. Therefore I was under the dash a lot with my wife watching the rear of the vehicle to make sure the lights would activate when I would press the pedal by hand, with light to moderate effort. A couple of test drives in between to check the cruise issue and voila! no more shut-off. Not difficult at all if you have just a bit of mechanical know how, you just have to take your time and be patient (even though in reality it only took about 15-20 minutes to fix, at no cost). It only took 1/4 to 1/2 turn on the shaft to get it to stop activation of the brake light switch while driving down the road. Have had zero problems since this adjustment.
I too have 268K on the Tree, we use the vehicle as an overlander and have put many miles off road, which I suspect is the reason the brake switch began acting up due to all the bouncing about.

I hope this post helps you and others deal with this frustrating issue effectively.
Thank you sir. I will check it out.