Rear Hatch Issues - Easy Fix?

Shawn2002

Mar 4, 2023
Hey Everyone,

Looking to get some feedback or advice on my 01' Limited's Rear Hatch issue.

I replaced the previously broken plastic handle with a metal one, and at the same time I am replacing the actual latch mechanism aswell.
Everyone went together as it should with no issues when it is unlocked, but as soon as I lock the device there is not enough resistance on the spring to allow for the device to unlock again.

See the pictures for reference, but the channel is blocked slightly and I don't know if it a spring issue or maybe a cable issue....

Please provide any feedback or experience you have !! Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Latch 2 - Alligned.pdf
    15.8 MB · Views: 2
  • Latch 1 - Not alligned.pdf
    17.1 MB · Views: 2

Shawn2002

Mar 4, 2023
Okay everyone, Just following up on here providing info if anyone else is experiencing the same issue.

The newer latch/lock assembly I received was a little different and I had to modify it to equal the same cable tension as the OEM part.
See the pictures to show the bend I put in the bracket to get the connection closer and reduce the tension (Pic 2). I Also closed the loop slightly given my replacement part was almost wide enough for the small ball on the end of the cable to slide right thru (Pic 1)

Hope this helps anyone dealing with the same issues!

Attachments

• Fixed Latch 1.pdf
    20.5 MB · Views: 4
  • Fixed Latch 2.pdf
    17.9 MB · Views: 2

eaglerockdude

Jul 9, 2019
hey congrats I have a 2001 limited also. Just had the timing belt kit put in this week at 123K. Anyway...u had said " quick fix" IMO I would just recommend using all OEM quality parts. I replaced everything this year. I was talking to the mechanic who was to do the timing belt. He seemed to think the main issue was the cable getting stretched out...dunno.

u will save some money on non-OEM parts but if and when it breaks again, it will be a lot of your time and trouble. In my long post I recommend going with parts that will fit exactly.

As far as that fix that puts a piece of metal sticking out down there, I don't like the fact you have to remove the plastic cover which IMO keeps dirt out of the area...just me I guess. Good job.