Engine starting issue

Ultrarunner

Feb 13, 2021
Ok, a couple of things going on...I noticed a small oil drip, which needs addressed and secondly, and I'm not sure if related, the engine cranks and doesn't immediately start, and when it does start, it sounds as if not running on all 8 cylinders for a few secs. This is accompanied by some white smoke out the exhaust, which clears immediately. I'm typically only seeing the starting issue when the engine is cold-soaked. Not an issue at all during the day when the engine is warm. Ideas to pass along to my tech?

Thanks.

• Sad
Reactions: Jaypee

Flank

Oct 19, 2019
Without knowing the age/ mileage of yoru truck, it's tough to say. However, there are some basic maintenance / housekeeping items that can help, in order of cost / difficulty - from my experiences owning a few sequoias and more importantly my Land Cruiser.

1) Run a few tanks full with Techron additive to clean out the fuel system, injectors, etc.
2) make a habit of running Lucas additive every few tanks in older cars
3) Change fuel filter if not done in a while
4) Change Plugs if not done in a while - you can pull these and check them if you are mechanically minded.
5) injector service - deep cleaning - cold partially clogged injectors may not be initially suppling enough fuel to your old worn our plugs to ignite efficiently or burn off moisture effectively on a cold start.

Ultrarunner

Feb 13, 2021
Hi Flank, thanks for the info. In my case, a late-2013 build and 120,000 miles. I talked with my shop. They duplicated the problem and a reset of the ECU was the fix. I'll get some more info when I pick it up later today. Thanks again.

Flank

Oct 19, 2019
My 2015 started this recently, the Techron took care of it, but I also know I'm due to get plugs basically now.

Ultrarunner

Feb 13, 2021
Update....

So, the starting issues was related to the ECU sensing a higher alcohol content in the fuel, (I have an E85 ECU), and throwing in more gas. Hence the rough start, due to flooding, and the fuel getting blown out the tail pipe. Rebooting of the ECU fixed the problem. The tech indicated Toyota has a TSB out on this, and if continues, Toyota refreshes E85 ECU's.

It's possible a bad tank of gas was the original culprit.

GTG!