When was my timing belt changed?

littleroot

Dec 10, 2018
I know, about as dumb as the come, huh?

Just got a 2006 Sequoia with 144k miles and unfortunately we have no records.

If it was done by a Toyota dealer, I assume they may have record.

If not I guess I have to bite the bullet and have it done just to be safe.

Ideas and suggestions, please.

Thank you all,
-Bob

kbvw

Jan 5, 2019
Other than pulling the cover and checking the belt, the bolts for the cover are usually replaced (I think) and can look "out of place" or new, and can give you an idea if someone has been in there with a new kit.

We also bought an '06 with 144k~ on it and just replaced it to be safe.
I asked the shop if they thought it had been done, and they said yes, but I mean, it can't hurt. Peace of mind is everything.

GTV

Dec 5, 2018
If you get a carfax report it might show up. The first belt change was on my carfax history, the second was just a sticker in the engine compartment.

Jav_Bez

Jul 13, 2018
Also, if done by toyota they generally will update it in the service history. Check Toyota's service history website it should give you some insight on service history of the vehicle if it was serviced at Toyota.

Google "Toyota service history" should lead you to the site you can pull up records. To new to post links otherwise i would help you out.

Dan.3

Aug 27, 2018
Take this with a grain of salt but the timing belts and pumps can go to 200k easily. I have a 99 4runner with over 200k on the original pump and belt. But it will be changed out this spring. Its no longer my DD. Currently I have a 211k on my DD. An 04 sequoia on the original pump and about 100k on the belt per toyota service history. Ill probably replace that as well this spring. Its a non interference motor so Im not all that concerned if it breaks around town.

Jav_Bez

Jul 13, 2018
Are you talking the 4runner or the sequoia? I thought the sequoia motors were interference and that is the reason why everyone makes it such a big deal to replace it rather than wait till it snaps on you potentially ruining your valves.