Wheel Spacers

BillAZ

Jul 8, 2021
Picked up a 2006 Sequoia Limited to outfit for overlanding. Got a little carried away and threw some 275/70r17 KO2s on and now I'm getting some frame rubbing. Don't really want to live with that so I'm thinking spacer kit(Supreme Suspension or Spidertrax) but I'm getting a lot of head-wagging from tire guys on the wisdom of using spacers. Obviously spacers vs new rims is the cheaper way to go but I don't know that I wouldn't get the same head-wagging with larger rims. I could swap the tires for stock but I'd prefer not to.

Any advice on which way to jump and why?

AD33

Oct 5, 2021
BillAZ what did you end up doing? I am getting ready to put those exact same tires on my tree

Jgrauman

Feb 18, 2019
BillAZ what did you end up doing? I am getting ready to put those exact same tires on my tree
I've run spacers on an 80 and my Sequoia and never had an issue on or off road. Install them according to instructions and check torque when you rotate your tires. There are going to be plenty of people saying "never use spacers. " Just bring up the vaccine mandate and they will forget about the spacers.

BillAZ

Jul 8, 2021
I ended up with tires rubbing the rear fender fairly harshly rather than the frame. It appears to be a bit too much offset with spacers on my beast. Even with a modest lift I don't know that wouldn't be a problem on rougher terrain. I removed the spacers. I'm going back to my original - more expensive - option and getting new rims with a 0 to 6 offset and a lift.

And every mechanic I've talked to - even those running 4x4s offroad - recommmended against spacers. I've got to say the Sequoia looked damn good with them on though - I'd just have to drive in a straight line all the time. Good luck.

Reactions: Joku