VSC/trac off lights on and now ABS sometimes

Jason Colman

Feb 27, 2017
West Palm Beach, FL
So a while back I had the common issue of my VSC killing power and applying brake to my right front wheel. This drove me nuts and scared my wife more by the loud alarm beeping inside the truck when it happened. After it did this a few times the VSC and trac lights stayed on on the dash and I never had the problem unless I disconnected the battery and reset it. Then it would work great with no lights or problems for a week or month until your guard was down then wham. it would do the same thing again. I troubleshooted and got no where. Finally I just stopped reseting it and have driven with the 2 lights on for a while with no problems. I see there was a recall for this on the 03 trucks but not the 02's. Now yesterday my ABS light came on. I stopped and parked it for about an hour and it went out when I got back in but was back on by the time i got home. Then on again this morning. I checked and topped off my brake fluid this morning, just replaced the gas cap last week. what else can cause this. I would love to fix the VSC/trac lights as well. Anyone have any luck on this issue?

Sal R.

Very Well-Known Member
Apr 6, 2017
San Diego
Any codes?

IIRC failing upstream O2 sensors can cause VSC to malfunction due to erroneous readings...

Jason Colman

Feb 27, 2017
West Palm Beach, FL
No codes. at least none with my standard code reader. Ive changed the 2 O2 sensors close to the engine about 6 -8 months ago. Those did throw a Check Engine and normal code when they went. What is IIRC? I did replace my right rear wheel bearing and just noticed im leaking a little gear oil. Have to pull it back apart and see if I might have damaged the new seal when installing. Oil on that wheel sensor wouldn't have anything to do with the ABS light would it?

Sal R.

Very Well-Known Member
Apr 6, 2017
San Diego
ABS sensors are magnetic. Any metallic debris can cause it to malfunction and trigger the system. I'd start with cleaning off the sensor.

IIRC = If I Recall Correctly

Reactions: Jim Smola

Jason Colman

Feb 27, 2017
West Palm Beach, FL
Still haven't had time to tear into my rear seal but wanted to see if anyone has tried Bluedriver code reader. Just picked one up and it read my abs and my trac/vsc lights.
b732af0f565b8408519e45cef8931a62.jpg

It even gives you most probably causes. You can put your vin in and it will give you all recalls and TBS as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jim Smola

Sal R.

Very Well-Known Member
Apr 6, 2017
San Diego
Looking up the codes descriptions and it would seem to point towards the abs and/or speed sensor...

IIRC, I've read that failing wheel bearings (had this problem on my old Audi) could also trigger the system, but that job was just done...

Jason Colman

Feb 27, 2017
West Palm Beach, FL
Looking up the codes descriptions and it would seem to point towards the abs and/or speed sensor...

IIRC, I've read that failing wheel bearings (had this problem on my old Audi) could also trigger the system, but that job was just done...

Thinking my abs is the one bearing I just did. The seal is leaking and may have fouled the sensor. I'll clean it and the others as well and see what that does to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk