Transmission fluid change?

cgilley

Sep 29, 2019
Today is Sunday "do car maintenance stuff" day. I'm working on my daughter's CRV and while looking for some paperwork came across the last major work on my wife's 2007 2WD Sequoia. The car runs flawlessly with the exception of the secondary pump issue when starting. But in going over the paperwork where we did our 90k mile major service: timing belt, associated parts, new radiator, differential drained, etc... I noticed that the shop had not changed the transmission fluid. I admit I assumed they would.

brief segway - I happen to have a 2003 Acura in my driveway that has had tranny issues (old news) so fluids I pay attention too.

Taking a look at my owner's guide - I don't see a "change it as this mileage" - it's all "inspect". Huh.

Now, we do not tow anything with this truck, so I'm just wondering if "inspect" is good enough. Thoughts?

Karl karason

Oct 7, 2019
I just got a used 09 Toyota Sequoia
Called my brother and asked the same question.
He is a certified mechanic.
He said change it but don have it flushed.
So I did .
He gave an elaborate explanation of some valves in the transmission.
I just did it as I allways have it changed when I buy a used car

cgilley

Sep 29, 2019
Karl - thanks for the feedback. Flushing auto transmissions on mature vehicles can cause issues. even so, my 2007 runs like a champ.

cgilley

Sep 29, 2019
6-12 months? I don't want to start an argument, but that seems excessive. Are you towing?

Trideyota

Recognized Member
Dec 31, 2017
Telluride, CO
Yes and 5 qts is what drains out without dropping the pan. Once you are satisfied with the quality of the oil change as you think it is needed.

Toyota4life

Feb 24, 2020
I highly recommend using the same Toyota OEM ATF WS fluid. I do not purchase it from Toyota due to the ridiculous jacked up price dealerships screw their customers. Toyota will tell you this fluid is only available through Toyota. I asked the manager that will be fine if true. So once the manager can show me proof Toyota has its own oil refinery that produces these special fluids 5 times the cost of the manufactures that do own oil refineries. I have attached who actually makes, bottles and sells to Toyota the transmission fluid. Same exact fluid the only 2 differences, plastic bottle and the cost of having it in the plastic bottle that says TOYOTA
One attachment is an internal memo from Mobil with specs showing what they provide to Toyota that is sold as Toyota WTS trans fluid to cover government laws and liability. This is not a pdf Mobil or Toyota makes public or available, its an internal spec sheet and part of the package contract when Mobil contracted to provide the customer with product.

Attachments

• mobil trans.png
    mobil trans.png
    551.2 KB · Views: 43
  • ATF WS MSDS1.pdf
    423.9 KB · Views: 29