Trailer Hitch Problem

Bruce

Mar 29, 2023
I have a 2023 Limited, bought specifically for towing a travel trailer. However, with a standard Equalizer weight distribution hitch, the rear door of the Sequoia hits the trailer lift jack. The only solution I've found so far is to use a 14" shank extender, but that creates an extra joint in the system. Looking for a better solution. Couldn't find any longer shanks than 18" and to clear the jack you need 21".

Greg Horodeck

Jan 16, 2018
Unfortunately, lengthening the shank to move the ball back has some very undesirable side effects.

By moving the ball farther away from your vehicle axle, you are substantially increasing the possibility of significant trailer sway. That's why semi-trucks and long 5th wheels have their trailer pivot points over or in front of the rear axle.

Additionally, a longer shank will also put more stress on the vehicle receiver as well as the shank itself.

There are any instances where people actually re-drill their shank to move it closer to the bumper for better handling.

Two hitches which provide enough clearance to address your problem is the ProPride and Hensley but they are more expensive than an Equalizer or any of the similar weight distribution hitches.

Greg

HighMileage

Feb 11, 2022
Good day Bruce. I agree with the comment above, extending your receiver can lead to potentially undesirable sway results. One option you might consider is relocating or modifying the jack. They make some that are held in place by a pin similar to your tow hitch pin, and can either be removed completely or rotated 90° to get out of the way when not in use. This picture illustrates weld-on style. If you don't have welder, a local shop can probably weld it on for you fairly economically. 31AEB3FE-EE93-4C67-8C9F-C1938DEC4C57.jpeg

Bruce

Mar 29, 2023
Unfortunately, lengthening the shank to move the ball back has some very undesirable side effects.

By moving the ball farther away from your vehicle axle, you are substantially increasing the possibility of significant trailer sway. That's why semi-trucks and long 5th wheels have their trailer pivot points over or in front of the rear axle.

Additionally, a longer shank will also put more stress on the vehicle receiver as well as the shank itself.

There are any instances where people actually re-drill their shank to move it closer to the bumper for better handling.

Two hitches which provide enough clearance to address your problem is the ProPride and Hensley but they are more expensive than an Equalizer or any of the similar weight distribution hitches.

Greg
Thanks for your reply Greg. I've purchased and 18" shank from Equalizer, the maker of my hitch. My rear door now clears by 1" without changing the jack. The shank is approved for use on my hitch, so I think it will be okay. I will test it out for potential sway, however. Best, Bruce