To Synthetic Oil or Not?

j.hollis

Apr 11, 2020
Poll question.... Who all is using Synthetic Oil and who is not?
If you are please include a reason why (Benefits) and about how many miles your rig had on it when you made the switch.

Back story... I've for some reason had it in my mind to go to Synthetic when I hit 250K, Ran thru the local Quick Lube yesterday and they acted like I was crazy to make the switch. But in conversion and questioning the only reason they had was if it ain't broke why switch or fix it and actually said it could cause leaks where I've not had leaks before.

What's everyone's thoughts?

Thanks

BillO

Sep 10, 2019
late reply both are good. its how often you want to change oil.. 3-5k or 12-15k . with either i still use some mystery oil in crank case.
when i took covers off, inside was nice clean and little build up.

bashby81

Feb 21, 2022
I am a synthetic fan mostly for the cold flow properties of it. I just buy the store brand cheap stuff but I do believe in synthetic oils in all parts of cars. I change every 5k because it’s easy to remember. Sequoia is 2007 with 230k very hard miles and at 5k the oil is still golden hued a bit but I change it anyways. I do an annual 2 cans of sea foam sucked through the intake (brake booster vacuum hose) to burn off the carbon. Not sure if that helps but I believe it keeps things clean and it’s fun to do. I worked at a shop long ago and in our experience that leaking fear of changing to synthetic is an old wives tale.

Jimbo

Nov 8, 2022
I use the high mileage blend 5w-30, that does have a synthetic blend. Used it for years in my 4runner. I change it every 5k