TheBoy's 2001 Sequoia Build Thread

Jonathan

Sep 28, 2017
Redding, California
The fun starts 10/17/2017... Picked it up last night.
2001 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4x4 Red/Silver Tan Interior 157, 821 on the odo. Clean. He did the seal timing belt and water pump at 133k. New fan belt, new Radiator, interior and exterior are a 7.5 out of 10. All for 5K. Time to start modding.

On Deck:
2.0 or 2.5 coilovers (Sway Away or Kings)
SPC or TC UCAs
LC100 springs
Fox Shocks Rear from an FJ/4Runner
Wet Okole front seat covers. (AutoAnything)
Wheels and Tires from my wifes old ride to spruce things up.

Last edited:

Jonathan

Sep 28, 2017
Redding, California
Maintenance Record:
10/18/17- new air filter, oil change, front diff serviced, rear diff serviced, transfer case serviced, new fuel filter and installed a gel deep cycle battery (blue top optima). Oh cutting wax, polished and sealed.

10/20/2017 - Transmission service at Redding Transmission. Dropped the pan, looked pretty clean.

Last edited:

ProbablyWrenching

Aug 6, 2017
Looks like you have a good handle on your project already! It's in good shape and you have a nice list of planned mods and maintenance.

You may also want to consider the following:

Lower ball joints
These are prone to failure on these vehicles. Luckily, the lowers are bolted in place, so you only need to knock the tapered stud out of the spindle and don't need to press the bal joint body out of the LCA. They're very straightforward.​
Disconnect the VSC/TRAC system
There's some back and forth on this one, as people like the A-Trac system when it's working, but when the yaw sensor isn't working properly, this system can lock up the wheels and throw it out of control. I've heard you can fix this with a zero point calibration after a lift, resetting the yaw sensor, but I don't care to play with a system that might kill me. If you want to kill this system, pull the plug on brake fluid reservoir. I have the VSC OFF and TRAC OFF lights constantly lit up on my dash, but my sequoia hasn't tried to kill me.​
Add a switch to lock the transfer case in 4H and any trans gear
In stock form on 01-02 sequoias, pushing the 4WD button turns on all wheel drive, not 4 wheel drive. I think they changed this function on later models, but this may get you stuck somewhere in your 01. You can lock the transfer case and get true 4x4 in 4L and with the trans manually selected into 1st gear, but that's limiting. There's a spot to the left of the steering wheel that's perfect for the switch. I'd post the link the DIY I followed for mine, but I don't know if the forum rules allow for that. I'll PM you a link if you want though.​

Happy modding!

Reactions: LoriH and Jonathan

Jonathan

Sep 28, 2017
Redding, California
Thank you all looks like great advice!

I am planning on doing the LBJs but I’m sourcing a set for take off. I’ve had these fail on the trail and have learned the hard way a trail spare set never hurts.

I read about the yaw sensor stuff, I like that you can unplug it. I’ve heard a few guys plug it back in when they get off the trail. I may end up going that route, I’ve also read about a kill switch you can wire to the dash where you can turn it on and off by tapping one of the wires going into that plug on the master cylinder. That’s where I’d like to end up.

I’d love a link to the 4x4 diy you did. When this becomes my dedicated hunting rig I’ll go to a true Detroit in the rear. I’ve had them before and love their function on a mostly 4x4 rig. This will be a slow build for me as the wife will be using it to commute for the next three years and my 2013 Sequoia already has a Fox lift MTRs and a factory center locking diff. BAMF is going to do sliders for me for that rig so I’m going to work on finishing it up first. It’s in the second gen build section if you want to check it out.

Thank you for the welcome and suggestions.

Cheers,
-Jon

ProbablyWrenching

Aug 6, 2017
PMed you the link to that transfer case wiring mod.

I bought moog LBJs for mine and tossed the old ones in my trail box. I still need to pick up another new set, but at least I have the old ones to get me by.

I thought about the VSC kill switch mod as well, but I personally don't see a need for those systems and the thought of them causing problems was enough for me to totally disable them. To each their own though.

I considered going with lunchbox lockers too, but my rig will still see enough pavement that I decided to go another route. I'll get a different thread going for my build though. I don't want to hi jack your thread.

It's cool that you have a 2nd gen too though! I thought about getting one myself, but these 1st gens have so much to work with and you really can't beat the current price points.

Reactions: Jonathan

Jonathan

Sep 28, 2017
Redding, California
Thank you, nice write up. And I know to each his own, but I have loved the lunchbox lockers on the rigs I've had them on. I'd go selectable in the front and box in the back. It does chirp and eat tires though, but the function is awesome.

Cheers,
-Jon