Stock air box modification

kevin pritchett

Dec 31, 2016
Las Vegas
so I found this today

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/foru...s-write/56364-stock-air-flow-numbers-and-mod/

Seems super legit after reading it. I just can't keep seem to get the pictures to work so I can see what the hell it looks like..

I would much rather do this then spend a couple hundred dollars on a cold air intake any day!

If any of y'all could get the pictures to work and attach them to this thread you would be awesome

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
So it appears they drilled a whole in the bottom of the air box and have additional intake tubing.
IMG_7713.JPG IMG_7714.JPG IMG_7715.JPG

Soy-Quoia

Familiar Member
Jan 8, 2017
Minnesota
Interesting idea. The snorkel install uses the existing stock intake in the passenger fender. Even though it slight bit of "forced" induction, I think it is offset by all the twists and turns it has to make traveling down the snorkel, through the 90 degree bend at the outer fender, down the inner fender, making another 90 degree bend into the air box. That being said, I do not believe it has caused any ill effects either. I have not used a vacuum gauge but may just to see... My MPGs were right around 15 in 1400 miles with 3(ish) inch lift, 285/70R17 tires, with the snorkel. It was better than I anticipated! I paid $65 for my snorkel on eBay.

Reactions: Jim Smola

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
Interesting idea. The snorkel install uses the existing stock intake in the passenger fender. Even though it slight bit of "forced" induction, I think it is offset by all the twists and turns it has to make traveling down the snorkel, through the 90 degree bend at the outer fender, down the inner fender, making another 90 degree bend into the air box. That being said, I do not believe it has caused any ill effects either. I have not used a vacuum gauge but may just to see... My MPGs were right around 15 in 1400 miles with 3(ish) inch lift, 285/70R17 tires, with the snorkel. It was better than I anticipated! I paid $65 for my snorkel on eBay.

So this will work with my dual battery setup??
eBay Link?

Soy-Quoia

Familiar Member
Jan 8, 2017
Minnesota
I did not have to move the intake box at all. So it should work fine for you. I cut the "intake" tube down a little to make it easier to get the rubber duct on. Here is a sneak peak inside the fender, looking in from the corner light hole. I will post a full install tomorrow.

IMG_4437_720.jpg

I used black silicone to ensure that it was water tight but this gave me issues when trying to keep the rubber duct in place. The provided hose clamp could not provide enough pressure to keep it held on the slick surface I created with the silicone. So, I grabbed a couple of self-tapping screws laying right there and punched them in. It held after that.

Here is the link to the snorkel I purchased. It came out of California but was made in China... He appears to be sold out now but I would contact him to see if he is getting more. Possible group buy?!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301700419230

Reactions: Jim Smola

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
I did not have to move the intake box at all. So it should work fine for you. I cut the "intake" tube down a little to make it easier to get the rubber duct on. Here is a sneak peak inside the fender, looking in from the corner light hole. I will post a full install tomorrow.

View attachment 228

I used black silicone to ensure that it was water tight but this gave me issues when trying to keep the rubber duct in place. The provided hose clamp could not provide enough pressure to keep it held on the slick surface I created with the silicone. So, I grabbed a couple of self-tapping screws laying right there and punched them in. It held after that.

Here is the link to the snorkel I purchased. It came out of California but was made in China... He appears to be sold out now but I would contact him to see if he is getting more. Possible group buy?!

Love it!!

paulstoute

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 28, 2016
Portland, OR
stoutewebsolutions.com

View attachment 228

I can look into doing a snorkel group buy too... Maybe an official ARB snorkel?

I'm working on Rook Racks, lower shock skids, and rock sliders at the moment. Oh and Roof Top Tents... so the snorkel would come after that. lol.

Reactions: 2ndChance

BillO

Sep 10, 2019
I just cut 2 x 2" holes in air box when I saw this post.. So far its already more responsive... next Gibson exhaust and KN filter

Reactions: Jgrauman

mister_skinny

Oct 16, 2019
Not to beat what I'm sure is already a dead horse, but don't use K&N filters. They just let more crap into the motor at best, and at worst coat your MAF sensor in oil that makes it read incorrectly. Also, I have heard from many dyno tuners that they don't make any power anyway (not Sequoia specific knowledge). They add intake noise / sound that makes people think they are getting something for their money....

BillO

Sep 10, 2019
yeah you have to watch the MFA with any oil based filter and clean it.. i ended up leaving the paper one in , cut the holes and its responsive enough for an 03.. I put the gibson exhaust but it was too much so replaced with common oem equiv.. all the joints need to be sealed better and horrible drone sound between 1800-2200 rpm, so basically all the time.

LoveBaja

Jan 25, 2020
Question about this, fellas.

I just picked up an '01 Sequoia with 133,000 miles and despite being almost 20 years old now, inside and out it's in excellent condition.

I can get this done but how important do you think it is under these conditions: daily driver for a wife who drives conservatively and doesn't need any extra power but we live where it's really hot year-round.

Should I a.) just drop in a K&N filter, b.) do the mod and K&N, or c.) don't fix what ain't broke?

SequoiaSurveyor

Oct 2, 2020
Question about this, fellas.

I just picked up an '01 Sequoia with 133,000 miles and despite being almost 20 years old now, inside and out it's in excellent condition.

I can get this done but how important do you think it is under these conditions: daily driver for a wife who drives conservatively and doesn't need any extra power but we live where it's really hot year-round.

Should I a.) just drop in a K&N filter, b.) do the mod and K&N, or c.) don't fix what ain't broke?

For what its worth, brought this very topic up to my mechanic this weekend, thinking I should do something with my 07' Lim. He said "Why mess with it, its designed perfectly." He also said you can mess up the sensor. Living in NorCal, I got to pass CARB.

So for me, its C

If I were in a different state, I would probably do something, but probably not that post filter intake deal, sounds like a bug sucker Lol