Skidplates!!!! My Sequoia Skid-Plate Journey.

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
So getting a list of skid plates together for our Sequoia is not an easy task since almost none are mass produced. I'll share what I have so far from front to back.

Since I have the Addicted Offroad bumper I was unable to use the factory skid and to be honest, I didn't want to use it.

First I made a template out of cardboard and the ugliest duct tape I had. I had a front mount receiver in at the time out that is now on my Tundra

Goal for this skid is to cover radiator, oils pan, and some of the front differential
IMG_4371.JPG IMG_4373.JPG
After the Template was completed I dropped it off at my local welders shop and he bent it up for me in steel.
IMG_5608.JPG
I chose to paint this skid for the ease of touch ups.
IMG_5682.JPG
The shot below is unpainted and freshly installed for the first time at Kevin Riley's shop.
IMG_5687.PNG
So now it was time for some transmission armor/cat anti theft protection. This was the easiest piece of armor to get ahold of since it's a quality part offered by OR-Fab

http://www.orfab.com/details.php?Application=Toyota&Part_Number=87041&Title=00-06 TOYOTA TUNDRA / 01-07 SEQUOIA TRANS. SKID PLATE/CAT THEFT SHIELD&Active=Yes

This part has perfect fitment and comes already powder coated and can be found on eBay and Amazon.
IMG_3671.JPG
So now it was time to protect my center differential. Sounds easy right? Sure!!!
I found a really nice skid at

http://www.skidplates.com/TCase_99_Tundra.asp

IMG_4665.JPG
Well I put it under the truck and guess what, it was way to short. This one was actually designed for the shorter Tundra access cab and not our longer platform. Since then they now list on the website that this does not fit the Sequoia SUV. :)
IMG_4690.JPG
So back to the welder for an extension and now she fits like a glove. This skid came powder coated and I chose to paint the extension.
IMG_5678.JPG
As for the rear diff armor I chose to go with a really nice and thick Trail Gear offering. Excuse the bubble gum welds by me. ;)
This part was painted as well

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/tg...h2QW9TkDq13wHmzQnLQixAVTzYefC_Q9cIRoCCO_w_wcB

IMG_4681.JPG

All skids were mounted with weld in nuts for added strength

Last edited:
Reactions: OverlandSequoia

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
Here is a shot from front to back
IMG_7041.JPG
And from back to front. Excuse the missing bolt I was still installing them.
IMG_7042.JPG
This is what I plan to do with my gas tank stock skid. I barrowed this picture. Weld on metal plate, paint it and call it a day.
IMG_7096.JPG

Last edited:

Soy-Quoia

Familiar Member
Jan 8, 2017
Minnesota
Awesome setup. What are your thoughts on the Skid Row plate? I've thought about going with their front plate, the OR trans/cat, and extend the transfer case skid, like you did. I've also toyed with designing my own and having someone fab them up for me but I always seem to have other things fill my time...

Looking good!

Reactions: Jim Smola

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
Awesome setup. What are your thoughts on the Skid Row plate? I've thought about going with their front plate, the OR trans/cat, and extend the transfer case skid, like you did. I've also toyed with designing my own and having someone fab them up for me but I always seem to have other things fill my time...

Looking good!

Thanks
The OR fab was the best bang for the buck as I only paid $129 shipped for it on Amazon. Had it in my cart for a while at $179 and then one day it was cheap.

As for the rest of it, it may be more cost effective to design and build your own or have a shop build. That way you get exactly what you want.

Soy-Quoia

Familiar Member
Jan 8, 2017
Minnesota
With some industry connections and calling in a few favors, it would be far cheaper for me to design my own. However, time is not on my side. Sometimes it easier to pay for someone else's ideas. We will see though. I have until end of June or beginning of July, I think. That will be our annual trip to the Bozeman area, with a possible detour to Utah to help my brother move.

Reactions: Jim Smola

Tytus

Jul 13, 2018
@Jim Smola: what's Your main use for these front lower bar under the front bumper?

Great underneath protection. Especially middle section.

Whocares

Recognized Member
Mar 28, 2018
Just wanted to share that I may have found a company that manufactures skid plates for the 1st gen Sequoias.

https://www.rocky-road.com/4runner-tacoma-skid-plate.html

At the bottom of the page, there is an option listing for tundras/Sequoias.

Edit 9/5 - I spoke to Rocky road and the actual company that manufactures the skid plates on their website is a company called skid row (Jim smola mentioned them earlier). They have 3 pieces available (front, transmission, transfer) on their website.

http://www.skidrowoffroad.com/produ...00-2007/skid-plates-toyota-sequoia-2000-2007/

Last edited:
Reactions: Sal R.

Whocares

Recognized Member
Mar 28, 2018
Hello Jim,

For the rear diff armor, did you weld it directly onto the diff? No other pieces were required? Thanks in advance

mulze42

Known Member
Oct 10, 2017
Honestly you would get a way quicker response from Jim if you went on the Sequoia Off-Road FB page. A lot of knowledgeable people don't post anymore on here and prefer to use FB as their medium which sucks.

Whocares

Recognized Member
Mar 28, 2018
Oh man. I don't have Facebook. Oh well, I'll keep trying. Thanks for the heads up. I was being to wonder if we were the only 2 guys on here. Haha

mulze42

Known Member
Oct 10, 2017
No I understand. I never login to my FB account but I creep on the page now and then. It sucks because there were a lot of guys on here like the OP of this post who now only post on FB. Tundrasolutions and iH8Mud are two other locations where there are a lot of knowledgeable people.

But that's why its a godsend that Sal still posts here because he is extremely smart and knows the Sequoia platform pretty well so we can be grateful for some things. The same for 1stgenoffroad too.

Whocares

Recognized Member
Mar 28, 2018
I wish there was a reddit page for the Sequoias. I know the 4runners and land cruisers both have their own dedicated forums.

Reactions: JoeSick

mulze42

Known Member
Oct 10, 2017
In between t4r and ih8mud and this site you will definitely find your answers. Also use tundrasolutions.com and find their 1st gen page. A lot of helpful posts int there.

M_Fez

Nov 21, 2018
Just found out that SKID ROW OFF ROAD is doing 20% off until 11/30/18 on everything. that includes their whole line of Tundra and Sequoia skid plates.

I can't post the link as I'm new but go to skidrowoffroad DOD com and search for sequoia or Tundra.. I'll be ordering a set for our tundra in a few minutes.

Last edited: