Rear hitch cargo carriers

trillneil

Aug 30, 2019
Hi folks, I’m interested in purchasing a rear cargo carrier for my 1st gen for basic weekend warrior stuff like dump runs, Home Depot, camping etc. As mentioned in previous posts, I’m new to all of this. I’ve done a little research but want to see what brands you all like and have experience with. Are there brands that this site is loyal to? So far I’m thinking the CURT basket rear hitch cargo carrier. Sorry can’t post link. Thoughts???

SequoiaSurveyor

Oct 2, 2020
Funny Story: I bought one of these for my "97" 4runner and used the S out of it. Upgraded to a 2007 Sequoia and used the same hitch carrier for the first time this summer. Went to take the plastic tubs off the carrier and the passenger side one was welded to the carrier, melted to it, rear exhaust vs side on my 4runner. Not sure what the fix would be, maybe a heat shield, maybe a 90 deg exhaust tip.

SequoiaSurveyor

Oct 2, 2020
Mine is too. The metal hitch carrier sits right above the rear exhaust pipe and it melted the plastic tub that I placed on the carrier. Since I used the carrier so many times on my 4Runnner, I didn't even think about the rear exhaust on my Sequoia, Doh!

BillO

Sep 10, 2019
harbor freight one, all metal mine has lasted 8 yrs now with occasional rustolem repaint. take it few times year for yard waste and family vaca in White Mountains, NH so its had some weight onit.

Reactions: Tower Hill