Rear height control

TomInKY

Mar 27, 2018
OK, so not much progress on my dilemma. Looks like my air compressor may have died - ran for a little while, but springs did not inflate at all. Going to get the truck in the air this weekend (finally) and get a look. I contacted Suncore, and they are no longer making their spring conversion kit - apparently they were having issues with the spring rates. Have not had much luck finding a set of used springs either. Local salvage yards don't seem to have any, and all the searches on eBay turn up springs from 2004 and prior models that indicate that they won't work in my 2006 - why I have no idea - it is virtually identical. And I also saw where someone installed a set of junkyard springs and found out that they were not heavy enough. So not I don't know what the hell to do. If my air springs are not leaking / blown out I am tempted to try to install a schraeder valve to allow me to manually inflate the springs. I can't seem to locate the correct coil springs without forking out a buttload of money to a dealer. I'm open to suggestions. It would seem like I should be able to find SOME kind of spring that will work in this damned truck!

Jgrauman

Feb 18, 2019
rear 100 springs should work fine with a little lift... Think its 2" I have a contact that has a few if you want I can shoot you his info. https://www.toyteclifts.com/sq-00rc-rear-2-5-lift-coils-for-00-07-sequoia.html if you want new. https://www.1stgenoffroad.com/store/p25/2862Spring.html#/ you'll need the "spring hollow" for the coil spring to seat in https://parts.findlaytoyotaflagstaff.net/oem-parts/toyota-spring-insulator-483130c020 should be out the door under $500 all new parts, cheaper if you find a part out with the hollows for cheap

TomInKY

Mar 27, 2018
Update on my situation. I found the online service manual, and ran a straight 12V right to the compressor. It kicked on, so I know my compressor is not fried. But the springs were not inflating at all, and I could hear air flowing. I pulled the springs back out and tested them individually on the bench with compressed air. First one worked fine, second one - nothing. On further inspection, I found that the locating pin on the bottom had busted off. Not sure if it was a defect or if it got cocked out of position somehow. Hopefully I can get something done under warranty with Unity. In the meantime, I tested both of my original springs with air and soapy water, and found that only one of them appeared to be leaking. Just for added measure, I coated the dry rotted area of the good one with black silicone - I figured it couldn't hurt. Reinstalled both springs, and again - nothing from the compressor. So I gave up for the night. I was planning to straight wire the compressor again to test it, and almost on a whim last night I hit the key, and the compressor fired right up and inflated the springs. I am wondering if the ECU tripped a code to prevent the compressor from firing up, and reset itself after enough time had passed.

I'm going to see if it holds for a few days before driving it. Fingers crossed! Thanks for all the help!

tjarvis002

May 4, 2019
I had a similar issue with the air ride on my 2007 crapping out. I sourced 4wd towing springs from a 2005 on ebay. Seller threw in the isolators for free and it was shipped to the house for $200. It wasn't too hard to install and now this thing rides so much smoother than even when the air bags did work. I will say that the blinking dash light is still annoying but the fact that it's my wife's kid cruiser it works out fine, she doesn't notice blinking dash lights...ever.

Jksafd

Jun 23, 2019
Update on my situation. I found the online service manual, and ran a straight 12V right to the compressor. It kicked on, so I know my compressor is not fried. But the springs were not inflating at all, and I could hear air flowing. I pulled the springs back out and tested them individually on the bench with compressed air. First one worked fine, second one - nothing. On further inspection, I found that the locating pin on the bottom had busted off. Not sure if it was a defect or if it got cocked out of position somehow. Hopefully I can get something done under warranty with Unity. In the meantime, I tested both of my original springs with air and soapy water, and found that only one of them appeared to be leaking. Just for added measure, I coated the dry rotted area of the good one with black silicone - I figured it couldn't hurt. Reinstalled both springs, and again - nothing from the compressor. So I gave up for the night. I was planning to straight wire the compressor again to test it, and almost on a whim last night I hit the key, and the compressor fired right up and inflated the springs. I am wondering if the ECU tripped a code to prevent the compressor from firing up, and reset itself after enough time had passed.

I'm going to see if it holds for a few days before driving it. Fingers crossed! Thanks for all the help!
How has this worked out for you I’m having the same problem. I replaced the air bags but they still do not inflate. Sometimes the compressor runs and other times it does not. Any help would be appreciated.

Bdarwish

Jan 17, 2020
Hi,
Sequoia 2010 platinum. First will deflate over night occasionally, but will inflate without problem, but got worse over time especially of the left side, till it was refusing to inflate unless left it idling for 10-20 minutes, and the last time it just wouldn't inflate (had to drive it and it was riding very low and bouncing badly on the road). So took the air suspension relay out and jammed it into ON position with a tooth pick and the compressor started even though the ignition was off, but would not raise the car, so started the car and pushed up and it started raising the car, and after few times of up and down, I removed the tooth pick from the relay and put it back and the system started working completely fine for several days now, it looks forcing the compressor to stay on may have dislodged some stuck valve or the solenoid, then causednthe system to reset. Thought this may help some guys having trouble with the air suspension.

brok4210

Apr 9, 2020
I have another question altogether and that is, I love the air ride and height control for towing and I was wondering if anyone makes a spacer block say 3 inch puck that could bolt under the bag and lift it 3 inches and re-adjust the position sensor so that I can gain 3 inches of lift, run 5100 series bilstiens and keep the air ride in tact for towing

Jgrauman

Feb 18, 2019
I have another question altogether and that is, I love the air ride and height control for towing and I was wondering if anyone makes a spacer block say 3 inch puck that could bolt under the bag and lift it 3 inches and re-adjust the position sensor so that I can gain 3 inches of lift, run 5100 series bilstiens and keep the air ride in tact for towing
Just adjust the sensor so in normal position its taller. The 5100s won't work they aren't valve for air coils. I'm running rancho rs9000 which are adjustable, on 4 they are great.

Reactions: brok4210

brok4210

Apr 9, 2020
If I only adjust the sensor and not lift the bag won't that force more air into the bag. and what is the maximum extension of the bag, I ask cause I literally just bought this 05' limited and I like that it has bags and I don't want to lose that feature of it auto adjusting when I tow.

brok4210

Apr 9, 2020
Just adjust the sensor so in normal position its taller. The 5100s won't work they aren't valve for air coils. I'm running rancho rs9000 which are adjustable, on 4 they are great.
I think I just read your whole build thread on some other fourm too. great stuff. I hate that you had such a nasty hole from the DVD player.

Jgrauman

Feb 18, 2019
I think I just read your whole build thread on some other fourm too. great stuff. I hate that you had such a nasty hole from the DVD player.
I think when I raised the bags to max height with the sensor completely disconnected it was at 6 inches. I've run it at 3" at "normal" for over a year and wheeled it that way without issue. I still can raise it up more with the height control and lower it when I go into parking garages. It has worked out well so far

brok4210

Apr 9, 2020
I think when I raised the bags to max height with the sensor completely disconnected it was at 6 inches. I've run it at 3" at "normal" for over a year and wheeled it that way without issue. I still can raise it up more with the height control and lower it when I go into parking garages. It has worked out well so far
that is all I needed to read man I'm in

brok4210

Apr 9, 2020
So I ordered new bags cause mine seem to keep pressuring down I’m assuming they are dry rotting I’ll be installing those as soon as they get here, I have a question though on your shocks
What are the model numbers for the rear and such shocks did you go with up front, I jumped the gun and bought a set of wheels and tires before I knew how tall they would be and they are basically 33’s so I wanna make sure I clear them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jgrauman

Feb 18, 2019
So I ordered new bags cause mine seem to keep pressuring down I’m assuming they are dry rotting I’ll be installing those as soon as they get here, I have a question though on your shocks
What are the model numbers for the rear and such shocks did you go with up front, I jumped the gun and bought a set of wheels and tires before I knew how tall they would be and they are basically 33’s so I wanna make sure I clear them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the toytec boss up front (check thread) Rancho RS999208 is what I ran.

Saltycapstone

Apr 25, 2020
Hey All,

I've got an '05 limited sequoia with air height control on the fritz. Both airbags have filled up completely bringing the wheelwell at least 8" above the tire and the manual height controls are not working. Has anyone safely adjusted the ride height sensor or been able to release air from the lines leading to the bags? I'm hoping to just release enough air put of the bags and pull the fuse on the system all together. Thanks for any and all help!

Cheers,
Saltycapstone

Jgrauman

Feb 18, 2019
Hey All,

I've got an '05 limited sequoia with air height control on the fritz. Both airbags have filled up completely bringing the wheelwell at least 8" above the tire and the manual height controls are not working. Has anyone safely adjusted the ride height sensor or been able to release air from the lines leading to the bags? I'm hoping to just release enough air put of the bags and pull the fuse on the system all together. Thanks for any and all help!

Cheers,
Saltycapstone
Sounds like your bracket broke. I have some pictures in my thread of the bracket, you can disco it and zip tie it.

Reactions: Saltycapstone