Rear Hatch Window Switch

Sal R.

Very Well-Known Member
Apr 6, 2017
San Diego
MODEL: 2002 Toytota Limited 4WD

PURPOSE:
Add a new hatch window switch independent of the key to open/close/roll up/roll down.

Very convenient when glamping it in the cargo area and not being forced to crawl into the cockpit, fumble around in the cockpit, insert key, then roll up/down the rear window.

For simplicity, I opted to tap the signal wires coming from the key tumbler from the rear hatch.

MATERIALS:
Switch
22ga wire

HOW TO:
1. Access the key tumbler.
See this install. The steps are the same and you will gain access to the hatch key tumbler.

Once there, you'll notice three wires coming from the tumbler itself. In my case, the wires were:

Green w/ Red Stripe (outer)
Green w/ White Stripe (middle)
Green w/ Yellow Stripe (outer)

1.jpg

2. Follow the wires.
Following the from the tumbler to the a connector, the wire color changes to:

Green w/ Red Stripe -> Green w/ Silver Band (Unlock/Down Signal)
Green w/ White Stripe -> Red w/ White Stripe
Green w/ Yellow Stripe -> Blue w/ Silver Band (Lock/Up Signal)

2.jpg

3.jpg

Follow the wire loom and it should take you to the back door ECU.

In the 2005 Sequoia Repair Manual, the connector you are interested in is the big one ("B10").

NOTICE - The wiring color and pin outs specified in the 2005 repair manual did NOT match my 2002.

In my case, I matched the Blue w/ Silver band, Green w/ Silver band, and Red w/ White Stripe wires on the "B10" connector and tapped it using the same color schema of 22ga wire.

4.jpg

3. Attach the Switch
The switch I bought had 5 pins, but I only used three as depicted below.
9.jpg

I tried to get a read on the voltages coming out of the wires using a multimeter, but I was unsuccessful. I ended up making an educated guess.

Given the wiring position at the tumbler, I deduced that the Blue & Green were the Up/Down signal wires and Red w/ White Stripe was common.

Plugged it in, crossed my fingers, and got it on the first try.

OPTIONAL:
For simplicity, you can choose to mount your new switch on the interior hatch panel. For my install, I'm opting to mount my switch somewhere in the rear cargo area. If you're interested in learning how, read on. Otherwise, you're done.

4. Route new wires
You want to route the wires into the cargo area w/o adding risk of water intrusion.

To do this, there are OEM access conduit you can use. Route your new wires up the driver's side following the wire loom from the back door ECU. This will take you above the hatch opening to the cargo area.

5.jpg

5. Remove upper trim pieces
To remove the upper trim piece that houses the dome light, pop off the diffuser lens to access the screws depicted below:

6.jpg

Once you've removed the screws, the light assembly will fall, allowing you disconnect it.

Once the light assembly has been removed, simply pull down (gently) on the trim piece. It's held in place w/ those white clips.

7.jpg

Once the trim is removed, you now have complete access to both upper and lower opening of the rubber conduit that routes cables to/from the cargo area to the hatch.

6. Route new wires thru the conduit
The rubber conduit is fairly durable and you can pop out of it place to facilitate wire routing. I used the old coat hangar method.

8.jpg

Once that's done, your switch should be located somewhere in the cabin/cargo area now.

NOTICE - Be very certain you pop that rubber conduit back in its place. If not, water will get in thru that penetration.

Cheers.

Last edited:

mulze42

Known Member
Oct 10, 2017
This looks awesome and I definitely want to try this. Two questions:

Where did you get the switch from?

Where is the end location you put the switch?

Sal R.

Very Well-Known Member
Apr 6, 2017
San Diego
This looks awesome and I definitely want to try this. Two questions:

Where did you get the switch from?

Where is the end location you put the switch?

I put a link on Amazon for the switch in the "Materials" section.

The final location of my in cab switch is just forward of the drivers side rear wheel well. See my build thread in my Sig for details.

mulze42

Known Member
Oct 10, 2017
Oh didn't realize there were hyperlinks. Cool thank you very much! I just replaced the overly rusty regulator and guides on my 06 and now it goes up and down like a dream so I'd like to do this next.

mulze42

Known Member
Oct 10, 2017
Did the install on rear switch today. It was neither easy nor hard. The trickiest part was definitely feeding it through the conduit. But with all that said it came out pretty damn good. I could have been a bit cleaner on the switch cut but I might be replacing that piece anyways soon. My wiring was exactly the same as yours as well and I have a 2006 Sequoia. Thanks again for the mod.

IMG_9416.JPG IMG_9417.JPG IMG_9418.JPG IMG_9420.JPG IMG_9424.JPG IMG_9426.JPG