Rear axel shaft installation 1st Gen 4x4 - need assistance

Wyatt987

Jul 30, 2020
I cannot reinstall the passenger side rear axel shaft the " last inch " required for the backing plate to nest against the axel housing. I am at the location where the bottom longer protruding studs start to enter the 2 bottom holes, however top studs are still a few millimeters away from entering the top holes. I have a 2002 SR5 4x4. Drivers side will slide in the last inch with a wiggle. I had my brother wiggle the drivers side while I attempted the slide-in. I attempted both with Trans in park and in neutral, so drive shaft is not locked and I have also gently turned the drive shaft a few degrees either way, and still no entry. Shining a light down the tube on both sides look good, everything lined up in the center and concentric. Suggestions? Thanks all!

Wyatt987

Jul 30, 2020
After further examination and comparing to the other shaft that slides right in, I believe the cause is the the spline end of the shaft is smooshed, perhaps when the machine shop pressed off the old carrier bearing. I filed down between the splines however this did not help so I will use a grinder wheel in the grooves to clean up the smoosh.