Ram mount

Sequioa4x4

Jun 9, 2017
Not exactly an exterior mod but I'm wanting to install a ram mount (small ball mountand short arm) up front and there's not a lot of area to use. Anybody have pics of what has worked and is somewhat out of the way? Wanting to use a tablet for gps and possibly an iPhone cradle. Thanks in advance!

Soy-Quoia

Familiar Member
Jan 8, 2017
Minnesota
I use an ipad while on the trails so I mounted a ram ball to the side of the center counsel. It is usable but I'm going to try adding a 1/2" spacer to give me a bit more adjustability. If I still can not get my ipad in the exact location I want, I may switch to a Ram RAM-VB-137ST1. This was a bracket designed to bolt to the front seat mounts in the Tundra. It has a bracket with a ball mount between the front of the passenger seat and the center counsel. Here is my set up. (excuse the mess!)
IMG_4934.JPG

Reactions: Sequioa4x4

Sequioa4x4

Jun 9, 2017
That is an option I haven't thought of. I might try your idea. Thanks for the tip! Did you use any loctite or thread locker for the ball mount? Has it been sturdy?

Soy-Quoia

Familiar Member
Jan 8, 2017
Minnesota
I made a backing plate that mounts behind the plastic but I'm not sure it really adds any strength. I did not use any loctite, nor any other type of locking. The tension of the plastic has held everything together well to this point. I have roughly 8,000 miles with the ball mount holding the ipad and is fairly sturdy. It does slightly touch the passenger seat corner, which would controls any shake. The only complaint I have is I would like a bit more rotation to drivers side. As I said above, I'm going to play around with a 1/2" spacer and/or wedge to see what I can gain. Other than that, I don't have any complaints.

Reactions: Sequioa4x4