Pull during braking after lift.

desertrunner04

Dec 3, 2017
I recently bought an 04 Limited. Replaced the rear springs with OME 2862 and Bilstein 5100s. In the front I installed OME 2885 and Bilstein 5100s on the lowest setting with new OEM top mounts. I also replaced the front upper and lower control arms, ball joints, wheel bearings, steering rack, tie rod ends, cam bolts, inner axle 930 boot mod, differential drop kit, and stabilizer bar links.

The fender measures 24" in back and 23 3/4" in front from hub to fender. I've driven it over 4,000 miles since the lift was installed and an alignment was done.

After the lift I noticed that when braking lightly at higher or low speeds the pedal feels a little softer compared to stock, but stops in a straight line. When I brake with moderate pressure there is a definite pull to the right. after I get past that point either higher or lower in the pedal travel I don't feel the pull. I took the front calipers off, installed new OEM shims and pads, and lubed the pins. All caliper pistons retracted and were not sticking.

Any idea what is causing this consistent pull?

Thanks

desertrunner04

Dec 3, 2017
That could be, but I did not open any of the lines. I unbolted the calipers and hung them when I did the suspension work. They felt firm and stopped fine before the lift.

desertrunner04

Dec 3, 2017
Haven't done a flush since I bought it a few months ago. No idea when it was done previously. I used a bulb to remove some of the old brake fluid in the reservoir and added new fluid, but bleeding the brakes would push new fluid through the lines. That sounds like the next step.

Reactions: m4ttj00

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
Possibly you are having a piston seizing up on you. It’s happened to me a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
Crown performance for sure. Call and ask for Sal’s lifted Sequoia kit. They are absolutely the best lines you can get. Also check out the big brake kit that Sal did on this forum. I did it and really enjoy it.

desertrunner04

Dec 3, 2017
I read that big brake post, very detailed. I'm a little wary of jumping into that one with stock 17" wheels. Not ready to get new wheels and tires if they are needed after the brake upgrade. Thanks for the advice. I will get in touch with Crown.

Reactions: Jim Smola

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
I’m running stock wheels
388bd2ecc6c5c822a02abb9f7a55fb25.heic

desertrunner04

Dec 3, 2017
That's good news. I'm trying to build mine as I go and as the budget allows. Plans are to build a front winch bumper, picked up a Warn Zeon 10s last week. Replace the front brake calipers and rotors. Eventually get some larger tires. Your Sequoia has a nice stance. I've read through most of the build threads here, but need to go back through. So many good ideas and helpful information.

Reactions: Jim Smola

desertrunner04

Dec 3, 2017
I wound up installing the Crown Performance brake lines up front with new calipers, pads, and rotors. Pull persisted. Replaced rear brake calipers, pads, and rotors. Will install Crown Performance lines when I have more time. Problem persisted. Installed SPC front upper control arms. Got it aligned and the pull is gone. I'm happy with the handling now.

Reactions: mulze42