1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pull during braking after lift.

Discussion in '1Gen Steering & Suspension' started by desertrunner04, Dec 5, 2017.

1. desertrunner04

desertrunner04 New Member

I recently bought an 04 Limited. Replaced the rear springs with OME 2862 and Bilstein 5100s. In the front I installed OME 2885 and Bilstein 5100s on the lowest setting with new OEM top mounts. I also replaced the front upper and lower control arms, ball joints, wheel bearings, steering rack, tie rod ends, cam bolts, inner axle 930 boot mod, differential drop kit, and stabilizer bar links.

The fender measures 24" in back and 23 3/4" in front from hub to fender. I've driven it over 4,000 miles since the lift was installed and an alignment was done.

After the lift I noticed that when braking lightly at higher or low speeds the pedal feels a little softer compared to stock, but stops in a straight line. When I brake with moderate pressure there is a definite pull to the right. after I get past that point either higher or lower in the pedal travel I don't feel the pull. I took the front calipers off, installed new OEM shims and pads, and lubed the pins. All caliper pistons retracted and were not sticking.

Any idea what is causing this consistent pull?

Thanks

2. m4ttj00

m4ttj00 New Member

Lots of variables. Soft pedal usually means air in the lines. Bleed em again?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  3. desertrunner04

That could be, but I did not open any of the lines. I unbolted the calipers and hung them when I did the suspension work. They felt firm and stopped fine before the lift.

4. m4ttj00

m4ttj00 New Member

Maybe you have some crud in there. When's the last time you did a flush? Is the fluid clear?

5. desertrunner04

Haven't done a flush since I bought it a few months ago. No idea when it was done previously. I used a bulb to remove some of the old brake fluid in the reservoir and added new fluid, but bleeding the brakes would push new fluid through the lines. That sounds like the next step.

m4ttj00 likes this.
  6. Jim Smola

Jim Smola Administrator Staff Member Founding Member

Possibly you are having a piston seizing up on you. It’s happened to me a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. desertrunner04

I'm going to order some brake calipers. Any suggestions for longer brake lines? Low range off road? Crown Performance? Thanks

Jim Smola likes this.
  8. Jim Smola

Crown performance for sure. Call and ask for Sal’s lifted Sequoia kit. They are absolutely the best lines you can get. Also check out the big brake kit that Sal did on this forum. I did it and really enjoy it.

9. desertrunner04

I read that big brake post, very detailed. I'm a little wary of jumping into that one with stock 17" wheels. Not ready to get new wheels and tires if they are needed after the brake upgrade. Thanks for the advice. I will get in touch with Crown.

Jim Smola likes this.
  10. Jim Smola

I’m running stock wheels[​IMG]

11. desertrunner04

are spacers required for the big brake upgrade?

12. Jim Smola

No