New / first time owner - 2003 brought to OH from FL

Do you change transmission/diff fluid?

• Yes, drain and fill.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, flush.

• No, if it's working well leave it alone.

• No, just change the diff fluid.

• Total voters

Lee Spencer '03

Mar 18, 2021
154k miles, black, very clean. RWD. mechanically seems well sorted and up to date on maintenance intervals and some replacement parts... brake booster, radiator, cooling fan, timing belt, water pump, goodyear assurance tires (a little oversized). no codes, just did an o2 sensor for 65 bucks. fresh oil. maybe I should do the 3 others? it just had the rear hatch handle replaced with a metal one, all lubed up and adjusted to operate easily. lubed the window tracks. the driver door is slightly tricky/difficult to close at times, you have to use some force and do it the right way. not quite sure how to fix that but i've tried a couple things that helped a little, but not a lot.

On the trip from FL to OH the computer told me I got 18mpg, but with the tires on it, the speedo was 5mph slow at around the 75mph mark, so IF the computer was correct, that'd be put at about 19. but I'm sure that's optimistic, idk how accurate those computers are and I didn't calculate it manually.

I just ordered some replacement oem woofers for the front doors, and a boss bv850acp head unit with the license plate rear camera from crutchfield with all the predone harness and accessories and whatnot to make it as easy as possible... we'll see how that goes. it'll make me feel better about the wife driving in parking lots!

Next I'm curious about simple and/or inexpensive power mods. one guy had some measurements and was claiming 17hp by modifying the factory airbox. What are some other "bolt-on" type mods that can be done for more power? I'd also like to know if others drain and fill, or flush, their transmissions, or leave them alone? and the rear diff fluid? and do you use power steering fluid or tranny fluid in the power steering pump?

Also, what is the BEST way to protect this thing from rust now that it's in Ohio... oil spray every year, zeibart, something else? I got some toyota black paint to touch up the chips to protect there.

Looking forward to learning with you all!