Need some tire fitting advice por favor

Theron Wilgus

Sep 6, 2018
First off, I bought my 2004 Sequoia limited 4x4 out of necessity and I love it, has some standard issues but very happy overall.

OK, I currently have P265/65R17 tires on the vehicle. Long story short, I am looking at taking the Toyo Open Country A/T IIs I had from my jeep (LT245/75R16) onto the sequoia.

I have done the math out for the load range of tires and I am ok with the load weight at the max GVWR that would fall onto the A/T IIs, my real question is 1. Will the tires rub if I put them on. 2. is dropping to a 245 from the 265 going to have a significant adverse reaction. I am away from my vehicle so I am kinda relying on some help from others to determine this for me.

She is bone stock.

P.S. Not looking to purchase lifts, new tires, or anything extravagant. I am merely curious as to this particular specific situation regarding tires I already have. I also recognize I would need to get a new set of wheels.

Sal R.

Very Well-Known Member
Apr 6, 2017
San Diego
Kinda skinny for a big car like the Sequoia.

Someone reported back with 255s and it was hairy driving it in the road.

Theron Wilgus

Sep 6, 2018
Kinda skinny for a big car like the Sequoia.

Someone reported back with 255s and it was hairy driving it in the road.

Yeah, the skinny part is definitely a concern of mine. Unfortunately I am unable to look at it so as to see if it passes the straight face test.

Theron Wilgus

Sep 6, 2018
Update: after breaking out the calculator again. I realize that the 75R16 is almost the same size as the 65R17 so no real rubbing issues. Really would like to talk to someone who was as dumb as me and maybe put 245s on the monstrosity known as the Sequoia. How bad was it?