1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My suspension recipe...

Discussion in '1Gen Lift Systems' started by Jim Smola, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Jim Smola

Jim Smola Administrator Staff Member Founding Member

I would say the biggest advantage is it's cheaper and provides the type of performance I was looking for. Improved off road and on road ability and control as well as increased towing performance. Plus ARB is a great company to deal with.

2. Nat

Nat New Member

Thanks for the reply. My 2005 Sequoia is stock currently. I've had it for 5 years and it has been great. Stock rear shocks are shot so it is time for new suspension all around. I will try to locate these parts and let you know if I have any question. Thanks for sharing the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim Smola likes this.
  3. DoLittleDailey

DoLittleDailey New Member

Question for you? After the install I had quite a bit of "shock knock" from the front struts. At first I thought it was noisy sway bar bushings, so I redid those. Narrowed the noise down to the front struts. Adjusted it down to almost no knock by adding some large washers as shims, a total of about ⅜" per side, to the shock mount. Did either of you guys experience this?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jim Smola likes this.
  4. Jim Smola

Picture of exact location that you added the shims? I have zero noise out of all of my suspension

5. DoLittleDailey

Okay... Finally got it figured out... The noise I was hearing was my lower control arm bushings. They were worn out. Didn't realize it and didn't start making noise until I did the lift. Which is why I equated the noise with the lift. Took the truck in, had new Moog LCA's done, rack was worn and starting to leak, had that replaced as well. Poly bushings on all, tight as a drum, no noise. Thanks again for the help and responses, much appreciated.

6. Sal R.

Sal R. Active Member

Keep an eye on the moogs. I've read the 1st gen tundra guys having issues with longevity.

7. DoLittleDailey

Good to know, thx. Mechanic said they're supposed to have a lifetime warranty on them. We'll see...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

8. Cody Earl

Cody Earl New Member

Hey guys new to this site also new to the Sequoia world. I have an 05 2wd and was wanting a small lift just to put bigger tires on it. It has the rear air bag suspension on it. I was wondering what would be a good lift to put on it. Thanks.

9. Rourke7982

Rourke7982 New Member

Guys thanks for maintaining this site!!!! Between this site and FB I have save a lot of time and money getting things right the first time. I just ordered up the exact " recipe" for my son's.

Jim Smola likes this.
  10. desertrunner04

desertrunner04 New Member

With OME 2885 springs on Bilstein 5100s on the lowest perch in the front and OME 2862 with Bilstein 5100s in the rear is it possible to run 285/70/17 on stock wheels? I've been doing a lot of reading and it seems most run wheel spacers or aftermarket uca to clear the tires. I'd prefer to keep my stock 17" wheels and OEM uca. Thanks

11. Sal R.

Sal R. Active Member

You'll need spacers for sure.

Jim Smola likes this.
  12. desertrunner04

desertrunner04 New Member

Ok, thanks. I don't want to run spacers so I'll look at some narrower tire options and maybe a 1" body lift. Appreciate the advice.

13. Jim Smola

You could always the Rubicon take off size. 255:75/17 I think. I ran that for a while with just lift and no spacers

14. dogman

dogman New Member

What is the reasoning behind using top strut mounts for 1996-2002 4Runner vs the OEM strut mounts? I plan to do the OME 2885/90004 front and 2862/90002 rear lift.

I currently have the factory 17" Limited wheels with fresh BFG All Terrain T/A K-02 265/70/17 so I won't be going with larger tires any time soon.

Also, is the general consensus that with this combo, I will not need to add aftermarket upper control arms?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  15. Jim Smola

Yes aftermarket uppers should be added to any lifted Sequoia. You can use factory Sequoia mounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk