King Rear Shock Options

Frank_the_Tank

May 24, 2018
Hello all! I'm new to the forum, but I've been lurking on here for a while.

I've been doing my homework for a while on Sequoias and finally found one last week and pulled the trigger (2005 Limited 4wd w 91k miles).

Anyways, I've been looking into rear suspension options and trying to figure out if there was a bolt-in option from King that would work with a 2-3" spring out back. I'm leaning towards the OME 2862 spring.

Based on a conversation I had with Brian at Jowett Performance a while back and the info I found in Sal R's build thread, I think I found a bolt-in option but wanted to make sure I'm not overlooking anything before I order.

Based on Sal R's build thread he had said:

I've cycled the suspension from droop to stuffed with the 5125s fitted and verified that the following dimension data are the proper shock dimensions for those using OME 286x (2860, 2861, 2862, etc.) rear coils (up to 480mm free height), even with OEM rear control arms.

At stuff, you're not bottom out and at droop, you're not over-extending the shock.

Data:
Shock travel: 11.2"
Compressed length maximum: 17.1"
Extended length minimum: 28.3"

Mount Style: Stem-eye w/ 3/4" opening, 1-3/4" wide, 2-1/8" diameter

Brian at Jowett said:

"Here are the two King rear 80 Series shocks that should be a bolt in for you. They have the proper 12mm pin mount up top, and the large 19mm (?) spherical eye at the bottom. The remote rezi mounts to the body. The geometry of the Sequoia and FZJ80 is nearly identical.

25001-352 Land Cruiser 80 – 89-97 2.5” for 3-5” Lifts Rear Remote Res
(collapsed)17.044 (extended) 28.301

Seems like the valving should be pretty dang close, the lengths look good, and the mounting matches.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!
cleardot.gif

Reactions: Lonestar

Meoshe

Dec 1, 2018
This would be an awesome to have another option. Have you pulled the trigger one these?

Frank_the_Tank

May 24, 2018
Not yet. Was hoping to get some feedback on here before I did. I might just bite the bullet and order 'em up this week. I'm gonna get on the phone with King and see what they say before I do. I'll definitely post something up once I do.

Frank_the_Tank

May 24, 2018
Here's the diagram that King sent on the shocks I'm looking into. Any thoughts? Looks like the compressed length is teeny bit too long according to the diagram.

Attachments

• kings.png
    kings.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 27

Meoshe

Dec 1, 2018
Can you not just add a longer bump stop or just see what the spring length is compressed. I have not personally looked underneath yet.

Frank_the_Tank

May 24, 2018
That was my thought as well. I don't think it'll be an issue, but I'll find out soon. Ordered my shocks yesterday.

Frank_the_Tank

May 24, 2018
So far, so good. The back actually feels way better than the front (I've got the king extended stock version up front that seems oversprung). I think the rear will be even better once the rear springs break in a bit. I haven't even bothered checking where the adjusters are in the rear yet. I figured I'd wait until I got some real dirt miles on it before I start messing with it.

Around town the rear feels great. I've got a few big sequential dips around that I've driven many other much more off road specific vehicles through, and it actually feels pretty spot on in comparison. It seems to sit in the right spot in regards to the travel (half way between the droop and bump). It doesn't buck or bottom out.

All in all, I think the homework paid off. The measurements are nearly identical to the Dobison rear long travel shocks that 1stgenoffroad offers so premature droop and bump issues seem to have been pretty well sorted out already. The weight of the 80 series and Sequoia have to be fairly close and I feel like you can compensate for that with the adjusters. Here's the Dobison link for comparison:

https://www.1stgenoffroad.com/store/p206/DobinsonRearShock.html#/

I think with a secondary front shock and a rear bump (I believe the rear King bump stop upgrade for the 80 series will work on the Sequoia as well), these things could take some pretty hard hits yet still be comfortable to drive on the street. That's my hope at least.

I'll probably add a rear limit strap to the rear end for peace of mind eventually since the rear sway bar is gone. Having a coil pop out is not a fun one to deal with, so it seems like cheap insurance.

Most likely gonna take the new rig down and put some proper miles on it for the Baja 500, so I'll have a lot more input after that. I don't think I'd hesitate recommending this as a direct replacement for the Sequoia at this point, though.

toyotech

Oct 30, 2018
That’s good to hear. I need to find the FOX version of this lol. I prefer Fox over Kings only because I have all Fox on my tundra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frank_the_Tank

May 24, 2018
I looked into Fox since they offered a front reservoir option, but if you want a 2.5" shock for the rear I'm pretty sure you have to order them custom.