Keep your Sequoia forever

thilt

Jun 5, 2017
So we all love our Sequoias. Here is my question. Do we love them enough to keep them forever?
In other words, my vehicle has 210K and is currently running good.
When it finally dies, I can either replace it with a $40 -60K vehicle or replace the engine and transmission for about $10-15K and drive it another 200k miles. Has anyone thought about this? Is this throwing good money after bad?

Reactions: APart11

Jgrauman

Feb 18, 2019
They are great vehicles, but all in all, just a vehicle. I thought the same thing about my 2nd Gen 4runner, and then my 3rd Gen 4runner and then my 80...at the time I had them, I loved them and was going to keep them forever. But as each one needed an engine, I sold them and got something else. The 80 caught on fire... I admit a tear was shed for all the hard work I put into that truck, but then along came this Sequoia and I'm good to go again with a lot less wrenching. While I have kids, youngest is only 3, I will stay away from a dd that requires as much pm as the 80 again. And if the Sequoia begins to get there I will sell it I'm sure. Maybe when I'm older and have more time on my hands to tinker, I will pick up something different or even keep the Sequoia for then.

thilt

Jun 5, 2017
Yeah, I go back and forth. I am just at the point now that I'm looking at newer vehicles and blown away at the prices. It just doesn't make sense to me to plunk down a big down payment, then make payments on top of that for another four years for essentially the same vehicle (I would either get another Sequoia or Tundra I think).
I don't know...still thinking it all out. Thanks for your input.

Jgrauman

Feb 18, 2019
I totally agree about a new vehicle. An 06 odyssey is the newest vehicle I've ever owned. I always have purchased used with at least 100k miles. We have a fleet at work, unfortunately we have to use ford and dodge. They are all junk, we have nothing but problems with them from the factory. After having to drive a ram 1500 for 2 years I convinced the owner to get me a tundra. After me having it for a year he traded in his 250 and 150 for a tundra and tacoma. I have since driven a 16 and 18 tundra and like them, but I'm not a fan at all of the 2nd Gen Sequoia body style

brok4210

Apr 9, 2020
I'm a father of six and I love the sequoia, I have a small company and make sure that all my bills are to a minimum, luckily I have cars that are completely paid for, meaning I don't buy anything on payments. so as far as the sequoia goes. I have never had a car that I actually wanted to keep and I always wanted an overland vehicle. so at the time of writing this post I came across another sequoia running and driving with only 165k for 1500 bones. so the plan is, buy it, strip it very carefully. Tear down the motor send it off to a shop for machining and clean up, rebuild engine to factory specs. send trans out for complete rebuild, and then take wiring harness and completely rebuild it if anything is damaged and save all the parts absolutely necessary. I'm talking headlights, taillights, wiring harness and fuse blocks, fuel lines, and fuel cell. catalog every thing and then vacuum seal them and store them it totes in my shop. then with a body and frame I may build an ls swapped full on rock crawler, talking simple wiring harness for motor only and wheel the piss out of it. trailer it to king of the hammers

Reactions: Ghost and whippin

jbarnett250

Apr 6, 2020
The problem around here in the northeast is that most of the 1st gen you can find used have all the same problems with rust etc. that are forcing mean to considering getting rid of mine in the first place. It's possible to find a 200k+ Sequoia that will probably go for years depending on how many miles you need to put on it but they'll all start to have that same risk that something big is going to rust out or break and force you to go through the same decision over and over. I just replaced my rack and pinion myself and paid $800 for exhaust work because I want to keep mine after finding nothing better in the 1st gen used market. If I get to the point of giving up on mine, I'll spend about 10-15k to get a used 2nd gen as I'm ok with the style.

mytakamine

Jun 7, 2020
This is a hard question. The only reasonable alternative I can think of would be a 2nd gen sequoia or Landcruiser/Lexus LX. I'm not a fan of the 2nd gen body style and I think I prefer the solid rear axle (I would love to have the 5.7L) . The most unique characteristics of the Sequoia compared to alternatives in the same size category are:
1.) the retractable rear window not available on the Landcruiser. (this is one of the most raved about features about the 4runner but people don't talk about this much on the big tree).
2.) The massive sunroof (sorry if you don't have one)
3.) The soild rear axle of the 1st gen.
4.) The factory ground clearance of the 1st gen as compared to domestics
5.) Run forever reliability as compared to domestics.

I tend to drool over land cruisers I see driving down the road but having test drove a hundred series before buying the sequoia I know it would not be as practical for family (missing cup holders ect) and I would not trade the back window for the clam shell tailgate (even though people love to rave about it).

rbrand01

Apr 17, 2019
This is a hard question. The only reasonable alternative I can think of would be a 2nd gen sequoia or Landcruiser/Lexus LX. I'm not a fan of the 2nd gen body style and I think I prefer the solid rear axle (I would love to have the 5.7L) . The most unique characteristics of the Sequoia compared to alternatives in the same size category are:
1.) the retractable rear window not available on the Landcruiser. (this is one of the most raved about features about the 4runner but people don't talk about this much on the big tree).
2.) The massive sunroof (sorry if you don't have one)
3.) The soild rear axle of the 1st gen.
4.) The factory ground clearance of the 1st gen as compared to domestics
5.) Run forever reliability as compared to domestics.

I tend to drool over land cruisers I see driving down the road but having test drove a hundred series before buying the sequoia I know it would not be as practical for family (missing cup holders ect) and I would not trade the back window for the clam shell tailgate (even though people love to rave about it).
I am completely with you on all your points for owning the 1st Gen. I have an 07 SR5 with 173k miles, no problems to date.. I love the LCs but I don't think I can part with the retractable rear window... can't beat the size of the Sequoia either !!

Hardliving

May 26, 2021
I plan on keeping mine forever. Everything works... yet slowly like the windows and sunroof. 4wd works flawlessly. Gas mileage sucks but it’s to be expected in a 220,000 mile 6K pound vehicle. It pulls my boats just fine. It is not great with pulling my 16’ trailer with my jeep on it but it will do it. Lots of downshifting while doing this and mileage drops to about 9 mpg. Mine being the ‘01 it has the non VVT motor, 4 speed trans, 33” tires and 4:10 gears I wouldn’t expect much more in the amount of mpg. Plus it’s been paid for for years.
It does everything a truck would do only it keeps everything that would have been in the bed dry inside the vehicle. We make the 2 hr drive one way almost every Friday for a weekend at our cabin on the river and we take our 70lb lab/ golden mix, our 45lb border/Aussie mix and my little runt that is prob 25lb everything mix. If I only had the Tacoma or Tundra it would be a tight squeeze with groceries and baggage. When this drivetrain finally gives up (hopefully it last long enough to put two more timing belts on it) I am not sure what direction I will go with drivetrain replacement. I would like a trans with more than 4 gears and it needs more ump so I debated on the 5.7 swap from the Tundra but the bad part is my 01 ecu does both motor and trans instead of having modules controlling each separately.
I just need to do more research on a swap.

BillO

Sep 10, 2019
just buy another used one, except not these days wait if you can. In 2010 i paid $13k for my 03 Limited with 110k .. still have it 12 yrs later and another 140k miles and in the north east with salt etc.. just did front suspension over and when this does go.. I will get another with 100k miles on it and at leat 10yr old

eaglerockdude

Jul 9, 2019
Mine is a backup and Home Depot/camping vehicle. And it was cheap. The only drawback is parking is tight on my street, and it takes up a lot of room. Other than that it's quite useful for me. Would I prefer to not be paying the insurance on it every year...for sure..another drawback. What can u do. No way at this point in my life would I waste money on a new car at current prices.

SequoiaSurveyor

Oct 2, 2020
I will be keeping mine forever. I love this ride. 2007 4wd Limited- last year of the 1st gen, size is between a 4Runner and todays Sequoia, and it has the 4.7 L V8. West coast ride so no rust. Offroads like a dream. I got rid of my 1987 4Runner and kick myself all the time about it. i wont be kicking myself over this one

eaglerockdude

Jul 9, 2019
I have a 2001 the first year they made it. i did not buy it till about 6 years ago. It's not my main vehicle, and most sits parked. I used it for camping, which I don't do much of anymore, and when I need the cargo space, like moving my daughter to college. Handy for that . It runs like a top...that drive from LA to Berkeley is a long one. Last year I did the timing belt replacement at 125K.

I love driving it. I suppose I don't plan to sell it unless I just don't have a need for it anymore. Or win the lottery.

What does but me is when little things go out. My driver side mirror does not open with power now. I have to push it open.

I addressed the rear latch completely a few years ago with all new parts. And it could use a paint job. But like I said..its more of a backup/utility vehicle.

cgilley

Sep 29, 2019
Our 2007 2WD thunders along. It's my wife's beloved chariot, and based on the cost of newer models, I would not hesitate to drop a new transmission in it. I don't see the engine dying anytime soon (162k). We've had the truck since 2012 - best 21k I ever spent. You'd have to be out of your f'ing mind to drop 100k on a new Sequoia.

It does have a few things I need to fix. The power mirrors went wonkers years ago, so I pulled the fuse. I need to get them fixed, put the fuse back in, then the rear window and defroster will work again. There are a few other items typical of older cars: front end needs some work to tighten it up, dealer says my rack and pinion is leaking, but you know dealers, etc. We're in our mid 60s now, so we are not road warriors. My wife loves it because she has great visibility and is bigger than most other things on the road.

AD33

Oct 5, 2021
I'm with you guys, I love my 2006 Limited and will keep it for the foreseeable future. I blacked out all the chrome, gave it a comfortable lift, 33 BFGs and it rides great. It has very few problems, I rebuilt the front suspension, replaced the front wheel bearings and did the timing belt recently. It has some minor gremlins with the VSC I have yet to work out but it always runs and gets me home. I use it as a second vehicle to carry people and haul things. My driver side mirror went wonky too a few years ago, so I just unplugged the switch in the center console till I get around to buying a new mirror. Walking up to it in a parking lot, I still love the looks of it. I don't love the 12 mpg but I don't drive it everyday. I drive a sports car the rest of the time. Perfect combo.

I don't like the looks of the 2nd Gen sequoias. There are some good looking newer vehicles out there but the prices are crazy these days and reliability sucks on most newer vehicles. A new soft top Bronco with big beefy tires looks good, but probably has the same reliability problems most new cars have. My buddy has a sweet Ford Raptor (that cost a small home mortgage) and it just developed a serious (and expensive) internal timing problem that is apparently common in those. I hear of so many problems people are having with new vehicles and I just shrug, my old tree works great (knock on wood). Last year I hit a feral hog one night on a country road that darted in front of me while I was doing about 50. The hit sounded like I hit a wall and I thought this truck was done. To my surprise the only damage was the corner of the plastic bumper cover was pushed in. I softened it with a heat gun and popped it back out and it looks almost perfect. I couldn't believe it, I hunted all over the suspension and underside and couldn't find anything bent or damaged. That hit would have crushed my Porsche, but not the Sequoia. This tank is staying with me till the wheels fall off.

Funny you mention dealers. I took mine in to Toyota a few years ago for an airbag recall and they gave it back with a long list of things "leaking" or needing repair (trying to sell me on an upgrade model). I said thanks for the detailed list and got to work addressing those things myself with just the cost for parts.

Attachments

• tempImagerGvKpV.png
    tempImagerGvKpV.png
    10.5 MB · Views: 4
Reactions: RichiRich