Is 2WD okay if just pulling a camper?

bash33

Sep 22, 2019
Minnesota
My wife and I are planning to buy a camping trailer and we need a vehicle to pull it. The trailer's GVWR is 7,300 (5,600 base weight). I'd really like to get a Sequoia (7,400 capacity) rather than a truck. However, only the 2WD models can handle 7,300 GVWR. The extra weight of 4WD lowers the capacity to 7,100.

We will NOT be going off road. We will not be camping in snow. We do, however, live in Minnesota and would use the Sequoia as one of our cars. We live in suburban Minneapolis (overall the road crews do a pretty good job of plowing quickly).

It's been years since I've driven a RWD vehicle. Are we crazy to consider a 2WD vehicle?

Jgrauman

Feb 18, 2019
I personally wouldn't buy a 2wd vehicle that is capable of 4wd,, I've never owned a 2wd truck either. If the option is there, I want it. BUT, if all you're doing is towing, then go for it. It's a pretty darn good tow vehicle

Greg Smorstad

Jan 23, 2018
I have pulled a 26' travel trailer with mine for the past 3 years and have never needed 4wd for anything related to the camper. I also live in Kentucky though so we probably have slightly different weather :). The one thing that I have found in the past is if you get close to the maximum weight your vehicle can pull you are really going to notice it back there. My camper was 4,700 lbs. and the sequoia did a great job of pulling that, however the Tahoe I had before struggled to pull it up big hills. Just my 2 cents!

4WDPickles

Jul 11, 2020
I know this is a little late but if you are still looking... Yeah, I would shoot for 4WD just to have as a just in case. But 2WD will pull a trailer fine. I have a 2020 Real Lite 177ORV trailer that I load up with 2 2019 polaris sportsman 570s on the front. I think the total wait loaded with ATVs is roughly 6200 lbs. I live where there are decently steep roads and with tow haul on it pulls without issue.
My Sequoia is a 2017 SR5 4WD.

Reactions: Pendlm