Higher pressure tires on Sequoia and setting TPMS for higher psi tires?

pinonbistro

Apr 25, 2021
Hi, I am a newbie on this site and a first time owner of Toyota Sequoia, 2013 Platinum, which I bought used primarily for towing my camper. The tires that came on the Sequoia were Michelin 275 55 R20 111H which appeared to be in good shape. However, first trip out they failed---there were large chunks out of the rear tires. Unfortunately I was in the middle of nowhere at the mercy of one small town tire shop. I bought Nexen Roadian AT Pro RA8 LT 275 55 R20 120/117S 10 ply tires. After they were installed I was told I needed to inflate them to 50-55 psi vs. the Toyota recommended pressure of 30 on the front and 33 on the rear for OEM tires. I think this is because OEM tires have maximum pressure of 44 psi or so while the Nexen tires I bought have a maximum pressure of 80 psi and running them at 30 would overheat them. Two questions: Am I damaging the Sequoia or causing drivability issues by inflating the tires to 50-55 psi vs. 30 psi? And second if there is no problem running them can my factory installed TPMS be set to trigger at say 50 psi rather than 30 psi? ( I am assuming the tire shop reinstalled the factory TPMS since I was not charged for new ones).

BigNuge

Familiar Member
Jan 3, 2021
You’re not damaging anything, but you’re making the ride terrible. If you don’t care about that then you’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk