Good place to tap 12V always on

Sequoia Owner

Feb 21, 2021
I am installing a Kenwood DMX series head unit that has a dash cam port. While I have the dash open I am installing the compatible camera that connects to the back of the head unit (and not a USB/cigarette lighter adapter). Everything else quick-connected with the Crutchfield pre-wired harness, but the camera requires red+black+yellow connections to switched power, ground, and always on power. I have an existing tap for the red and black wires, but not the yellow. I thought tapping the clock right over the radio would be a good option, but it appears to be part of an assembly I do not want to cut open. Interior lights might be another option but those wires are not nearby. Is there a conventional place to pull power for that yellow wire? I did not notice any other wiring into the back of the head unit that may be suitable.

Jgrauman

Feb 18, 2019
I am installing a Kenwood DMX series head unit that has a dash cam port. While I have the dash open I am installing the compatible camera that connects to the back of the head unit (and not a USB/cigarette lighter adapter). Everything else quick-connected with the Crutchfield pre-wired harness, but the camera requires red+black+yellow connections to switched power, ground, and always on power. I have an existing tap for the red and black wires, but not the yellow. I thought tapping the clock right over the radio would be a good option, but it appears to be part of an assembly I do not want to cut open. Interior lights might be another option but those wires are not nearby. Is there a conventional place to pull power for that yellow wire? I did not notice any other wiring into the back of the head unit that may be suitable.
Do you have a Pic of the factory plug? There should be a 12v constant on that plug, usually yellow or red. You can t-tap onto that wire before the plug

Reactions: Sequoia Owner

Sequoia Owner

Feb 21, 2021
Excellent advice, thank you. Crutchfield confirmed the yellow wire in the harness is a constant voltage source and also recommended I tap it there. I was reluctant to cut into the harness (it is over two dozen wires) without knowing for certain. Historically I have had bad luck trusting color code conventions. I popped a fuse with my meter probes last night, so it seemed a good place to pause and post.