Fuel Gauge

Rhodey

Feb 25, 2017
Not necessarily an economy question, but does anyone else's fuel gauge read lower than what's actually in the tank? I've only owned my tree since November, but whenever I fill up (usually around 1/4 tank) my fill is only ~15-16 gallons. I've had my fuel light come on once, and 19 gallons filled it up. The only thing I can think of is Toyota was trying prolonging the life of their fuel pumps by encouraging their customers to not wait until dead E to fuel up, but 7 gallons seems like a pretty large reserve.

Jim Smola

Staff member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
Not necessarily an economy question, but does anyone else's fuel gauge read lower than what's actually in the tank? I've only owned my tree since November, but whenever I fill up (usually around 1/4 tank) my fill is only ~15-16 gallons. I've had my fuel light come on once, and 19 gallons filled it up. The only thing I can think of is Toyota was trying prolonging the life of their fuel pumps by encouraging their customers to not wait until dead E to fuel up, but 7 gallons seems like a pretty large reserve.
When my fuel light comes on I usually get gas with in 20 miles and am usually putting in 22-23 gal. Same on my Tundra as well.

Jan 19, 2018
Weddington NC
I have a 2003 with a possessed gas gauge. starts with empty gauge and idiot light, pull in to get gas- says 2/3 tank......drive till idiot light comes on, 18 gallons fills it? I have not noticed it dripping or stinking like gas...

thilt

Jun 5, 2017
My 03's gas gauge used to stick all the time. All positions. Sometimes it would stay low after a fill-up and come up real slowly as I drove. Very weird. I put a few tanks of fuel system cleaner in it and it helped a lot. It still sometimes sticks but not as often. I think its time for a new gauge.

eahyland

Dec 4, 2018
Is there a fix to this? My 2001 SR5 4x4 seems to have a spot when the level gets low, say 1/8-1/4, the gauge completely drops out to the bottom and the fuel light comes on. Sometimes it comes and goes. Above 1/4 tank it has never dropped out, but somewhere it this range I have no fuel level indication.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

oklamopar

Jan 17, 2019
Ok good, I thought i had a fuel leak, was stuck in traffic for 35 minutes and dropped from full to half a tank. pulled over at first chance and found no leaks. Drove down the road and it came up. Just filled up at 1/4 tank and only gor 16 gallons in it. Thought I had a weird 1. Glad is not just mine. 277k on the clock

mvtran

Mar 14, 2019
Usually it is the gas float meter in the gas tank that is faulty. Mine randomly shows empty but I keep track how much gas I have.