Front sway bar disconnect???

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
I've researched this a good bit and my conclusion is more harm can come then good on this one.
Having the sway bar connected in the front actually helps limit excessive suspension angles which can be harmful to our IFS.

I suggest disconnecting the rear when more articulation is desired.

Just one limiting factor to the IFS that I am happy to live with.

Reactions: hugegrand

paulstoute

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 28, 2016
Portland, OR
stoutewebsolutions.com
Yeah I've seen folks disconnect the front sway bars and attach limiting straps to allow more articulation without additional wheel travel. I know that might sound incorrect, but without the two wheels connected to each other, you can actually flex better than if they're connected. Even if that flex is limited, you have more available wheel positions available when not using the sway bar... but it's significantly safer to run the sway bar as you don't gain that much by removing the sway bar... unless you have a way to run long term tests offroad with different length limiting straps.

Reactions: Jim Smola

XPLORx4

Jan 10, 2017
What limits the suspension angles when both front tires are in the air? The swaybar has no influence on suspension travel in this case.

Scott Jackson

Recognized Member
Jan 10, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Bump stops?
Which mine are probably to short since I lifted it.
This is correct - as in my case, after lift. the uppers are too tall, and the lowers too short. At some point, I would like to remove the factory and run hydraulic stops.

The up travel is not as crucial, as you may just hit the fender with your tires worst case, it's the down travel that can lead to Axle failure on the sequoia, plus the extra leverage on the Tie- rods can cause bending, and Rack & Pinon damage.

Reactions: Jim Smola

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
This is correct - as in my case, after lift. the uppers are too tall, and the lowers too short. At some point, I would like to remove the factory and run hydraulic stops.

The up travel is not as crucial, as you may just hit the fender with your tires worst case, it's the down travel that can lead to Axle failure on the sequoia, plus the extra leverage on the Tie- rods can cause bending, and Rack & Pinon damage.

I'm on board with some hydrolic stops. Great!!!

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
I have the fronts ready to go as we speak, they've already be tested on and off road.....by sat the rear will be ready to ship...have to push them out in the field tomorrow make sure all goes well.....then they will be far sale

You still working on bump stops?