Front differential question?

Newguy01

Mar 8, 2018
So i have a 2002 Toyota sequoia with 221,000 on the clock and was having some work done on the truck this weekend. My mechanic was telling me he could hear some noise coming from the front diff.. and i was hearing a grinding noise while driving but it sounded like a wheel bearing to me. So if it is truly the front diff can these be rebuilt or just completely replace them? Also another concern i have is if i am driving and it decides to crap the bed on me while driving are the fronts going to lock up on me if i am still in 2wd?

Jeff Redding

Feb 24, 2018
If the noise is intermittent, then it is very common and normal. Some report that you can make the noise go away when putting it 4wd.

I had a Dakota that had bad front wheel bearing. I put it jack stands (in driveway) and had the wife carefully put it in drive while in 4wd. The front was pointed away from garage and I stood back. Then I could hear where the noise was coming from while she gave it a little gas.

Newguy01

Mar 8, 2018
well i found out the right rear wheel bearing is going out but i am still concerned about the noise thats coming from the front diff. I can't tell if it is truly bad or not.