Front Differential Drop and Carrier Bearing Drop

hugegrand

Aug 12, 2019
Hi all,
I'm new to this so please bear with me if my questions sound naive etc... I have an 05 Sequoia SR5 and am about to install a Dobinsons 1.75" Lift kit on there.

lurking around various boards I've seen a lot of talk about Front Differential Drops on these beasts with a lift over 2". I've also read chatter about Dropping the Carrier Bearing for lifts over 2" as well.

I fall well under the thresholds with a 1.75" lift, but have also heard its a good overall preventive for premature wearing out of the front diff and Carrier Bearing. So my question is:

1. Should I do it anyway?
2. Besides extra cost, is there anything BAD about doing either of these drops if my lift is only 1.75 inches?

Thanks in advance y'all!
H

Mtoddsolomon

Jun 11, 2019
Interested as well. Also, are you doing new UCAs with the dobinson lift? I've pretty much decided on that lift but the SPC UCAs are almost the same price as the lift. I would love to try stock UCAs and see if I can get away with it.

Reactions: hugegrand

Jgrauman

Feb 18, 2019
Hi all,
I'm new to this so please bear with me if my questions sound naive etc... I have an 05 Sequoia SR5 and am about to install a Dobinsons 1.75" Lift kit on there.

lurking around various boards I've seen a lot of talk about Front Differential Drops on these beasts with a lift over 2". I've also read chatter about Dropping the Carrier Bearing for lifts over 2" as well.

I fall well under the thresholds with a 1.75" lift, but have also heard its a good overall preventive for premature wearing out of the front diff and Carrier Bearing. So my question is:

1. Should I do it anyway?
2. Besides extra cost, is there anything BAD about doing either of these drops if my lift is only 1.75 inches?

Thanks in advance y'all!
H
Some say it's pointless, not sure how it could be. I did it on mine at 2.5". I would think any reduction in the angle of the cv would be beneficial. Both inner boots tore about a week after the lift so had to swap those out.

Jgrauman

Feb 18, 2019
Interested as well. Also, are you doing new UCAs with the dobinson lift? I've pretty much decided on that lift but the SPC UCAs are almost the same price as the lift. I would love to try stock UCAs and see if I can get away with it.
Stock will be fine, but you're going to limit the travel of the dobinsons. What's your goal with the lift? That's your deciding factor and how much money you want to spend

Mtoddsolomon

Jun 11, 2019
Stock will be fine, but you're going to limit the travel of the dobinsons. What's your goal with the lift? That's your deciding factor and how much money you want to spend
Goal with the lift is mostly appearance and occasionally doing some trails in the NC mountains, and camping. I’m always working on a project and I just finished my 2016 f150. I’m going to get the sequoia setup then sell the truck and use the sequoia as my DD.

hugegrand

Aug 12, 2019
Thanks for the thoughts and replies.

I plan to have a simple lift for the sake of a little more clearance for uneven dirt gravel situations and the city streets around here that are just as bad IMO. It's not going into a heavy or extreme off road situations, but I still want it a little taller and more capable for certain mountain roads etc. I'll eventually place some slightly larger rubber on her feet with a bit more grip, but I won't go too big (and wonder what size I can go up to) with a 1.75 lift without spacers, and or offset rims. It would be great if I could keep it's stock rim size with the final set up even...

So in short it's a 'stage 1 lift' I guess? With springs good enough to take extra load or shock when needed. I Plan to keep the stock sway bars etc.

Any other thoughts y'all have on this etc I'd be stoked to Hear. Thanks!!! H

Mtoddsolomon

Jun 11, 2019
I’m sure 285/70/17 would be fine with the Dobinson lift. I’m still on the fence between that and the one lift. I really just like that the Dobinson lift is made for the sequoia unlike the piece mill OME kit. I’ve also heard the Dobinson rides better.

I think I’m going to do the uca and diff drop just to be safe. I’ll probably go ahead and do the lower ball joints and any busings/cam adjusters at the same time. I get more and more excited the more I look at stuff for it. I keep thinking how much easier it’d be with an 80 or 100 series but at the same time, I already have this and it’s cool because it’s not another 80 or 100.

LRNAD90

Nov 12, 2019
Okay, let me preface this by saying I don't own a Sequoia. But speaking from general knowledge wrenching on, lifting and wheeling trucks for 30 years...

80 series might be easier, but 100 series is still IFS (torsion bar, but still IFS), so don't think the 100 series would be any easier...

As for UCAs, when you lift the IFS front end you loose extension or drop travel, as you have now oriented the suspension's resting point lower in the overall travel range. A longer Shock/Coilover assembly can get you more downward travel, but generally the UCA'ss and stock ball joints would bind before full down travel could be achieved. My understanding is that some of this can be gained back using uni-ball style UCA's, as they are designed to allow greater movement/angles, preventing binding as early as the stock component would.

Also consider that the aftermarket UCA's help to account for loss of alignment range, and you may or may not be able to get back to correct alignment specs with the stock UCAs. Everyone's experience seems to vary here, but its quite common when lifting IFS suspensions not to be able to get back to specs without replacing UCAs, or some other consideration for extending the adjustment range..

hugegrand

Aug 12, 2019
Went with the 1.75 Dobinsons lift and love it. Y'all were right with a ride height only slightly higher it's not stressing the Diffs as far as I can see and am enjoying improved handling all around, on and off road.