Driver's Floorboard Noise?

jddillard3

May 31, 2017
2001 Limited 4WD with 206k on the clock.

I'm getting a cyclical vibration/buzzing noise between 35-45 mph in my left foot in the drivers floorboard when I drive, but then it goes away.

I already replaced the steering column boot that allows the infamous ticking noise people complain about. Is this the front driveshaft/diff making the noise?

jddillard3

May 31, 2017
I've only engaged the 4WD during extreme downpours on poorly maintained roads, so I haven't been able to accurately determine if it goes away or is just being masked by other factors.

If it does go away after engaging and disengaging 4WD, is this considered "normal" operating conditions? What about if it doesn't go away after engaging and disengaging 4WD?

soonersequoia

Jul 31, 2017
So if it goes away after engaging 4wd it is likely the needle bearing on the drivers side of the diff due to a design flaw in the OEM bearing.

There are two solutions now for this.

First, Toyota has revised the bearing and it supposedly remedies the problem.

Second, East Coast Gear Supply makes a bushing and removal tool that will also solve the problem, this is what I ended up going with. Pretty easy DIY install and they do have videos on their site about it.
http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-14472912-toyota-7-5-clamshell-bushingeliminates-needle-bearing.html

It was a big enough problem that Toyota was replacing differentials left and right early on and caused ECGS to develop this bushing.

soonersequoia

Jul 31, 2017
Report back on how it goes. I've been chasing down noises in my 05 SR5 for a year and slowly picking them off.

jddillard3

May 31, 2017
Driving down the road at 37 mph and I hear/feel the vibration. Put it into 4wd and it goes away. Take it out of 4wd, still going 37 mph and it comes back, but it sounds a bit different, deeper/lower maybe.

This would seem to confirm the need to replace the driver side CV axle needle bearing, correct? 3 hour job with the proper tools?

ukrboy

Jan 25, 2017
Sounds like I might have the same problem. But I feel it in my right foot.
In for updates.

jddillard3

May 31, 2017
I haven't heard/felt the noise in any recent drives. It is my wife's vehicle, and she drives it less than 5 miles a day to and from work.

I will ask about it when I take it in for the next oil change/tire rotation coming up. See how much the shop would charge to swap in the supplied ECGS unit.

edi

Oct 25, 2018
Report back on how it goes. I've been chasing down noises in my 05 SR5 for a year and slowly picking them off.
I also have a 05 sequoia limited. I have this noise on the front passenger side (it feels like this from the drivers seat) it's on as soon as I start driving from 20mph and it's always on weather in 4x4 or 2x4. I keep thinking it's the brake pad keeps rubbing on the rotor but I dont know. I had the truck on jack stands and put it in drive but no noise. I guess it needs to be under proper load to simulate this noise. DID YOU HAVE THIS PROBLEM AND DID YOU FIX IT.
THANKS