Unanswered Driveline repairs (axle shafts)

Rogue Sequoia

Jan 6, 2019
AZ
Vehicle Drivetrain
4wd
Vehicle Year
I've been on the hunt for any info for doing front and rear axle shaft replacements. A little reluctant to go with local parts store aftermarket products (don't seem to last). OEM is pricey, but mine lasted 9 years!
Nothing on line or YouTube for 2nd gen Sequoia maintenance like this yet (rear axle specifically). Any recommendations for best parts, a decent manual, or lessons learned?IMG_20190103_163741.jpg

Thanks!

Enormis

Jun 9, 2024
My bro! Please buy factory! I used to run a shop back in the late nineties. Aftermarket stuff was descent. Nowadays is Chinese junk. All of it!
Koyo is the oem bearimg manufacturer. You may be able to source them or look online. Many dealers have descent breaks in price online. The main reason these bearings fail. (Usually right rear) is the axle seal between the axle housing and the bearing statues to leak. The bearings are sealed with grease. Once the diff fluid gets past the seal, it will wash the grease out of the bearing. Failure is eminent but not always obvious. They can make noise like a humming initially. Or you replace the seal, feeling like you caught it in time and the seal fails again almost within days. The bearing is shot. They can get minute play and cause the seal to keep blowing out! Very frustrating!
It’s a major pain job and requires a press. I had to have mine done on the road. It cost be a grand at Toyota. 4 years ago. They tried to say they might break my wheel sensor pulling the axle and if so I have to pay for it. For like 400 bucks. Since I was a tech at one point and had that axle out myself, I pointed out that they didn’t even need to touch it. They scare me! Young techs that don’t have much experience. Hope this helps man!

Enormis

Jun 9, 2024
My bro! Please buy factory! I used to run a shop back in the late nineties. Aftermarket stuff was descent. Nowadays is Chinese junk. All of it!
Koyo is the oem bearimg manufacturer. You may be able to source them or look online. Many dealers have descent breaks in price online. The main reason these bearings fail. (Usually right rear) is the axle seal between the axle housing and the bearing statues to leak. The bearings are sealed with grease. Once the diff fluid gets past the seal, it will wash the grease out of the bearing. Failure is eminent but not always obvious. They can make noise like a humming initially. Or you replace the seal, feeling like you caught it in time and the seal fails again almost within days. The bearing is shot. They can get minute play and cause the seal to keep blowing out! Very frustrating!
It’s a major pain job and requires a press. I had to have mine done on the road. It cost be a grand at Toyota. 4 years ago. They tried to say they might break my wheel sensor pulling the axle and if so I have to pay for it. For like 400 bucks. Since I was a tech at one point and had that axle out myself, I pointed out that they didn’t even need to touch it. They scare me! Young techs that don’t have much experience. Hope this helps man!
Actually forget that. I just saw your pic. It’s the CV boot. They can just replace the CV boot alone!