Don't quit your day job... Share it!

Soy-Quoia

Familiar Member
Jan 8, 2017
Minnesota
So, I'm stuck with a sick kid and I don't have all my documents to add to my previous posts. (Having a full shop off site has both benefits and draw backs!) I've been doing some catch-up on work and have been struggling with some issues our company is having and I thought "I wonder what member of the Sequoia-Forums do for a living?!" Obviously, I think I can figure out what Paul does... And, for the most part, anyone who has bothered to fill in the occupation portion of their personal detail. (Full disclosure, I just filled mine in)

So... What do you do? Give a quick breakdown of your job. Maybe we have jobs that can help each other out!

I am a quality engineer/metrologist. Almost 100% of my job is travel. I work with manufacturers to ensure they are making a quality product that meets manufacturing specs. One of my main tools of trade is a portable CMM. (coordinate measuring machine) A CMM takes very precise measurements to give the most accurate measurement detail of anything of size. I also use a 3D laser scanner to capture details of many different material types. With a 3D laser scanner I am able to scan just about anything into a point cloud which can then be converted into a CAD model.

My company currently has me traveling to central WI on a department of defense job. I am working with the manufacturer that is building the HUMVEE replacement vehicle for the military. It's one of the more interesting jobs I've been on!

I enjoy my job. I end up in a wide variety of places, from power plants scanning turbine rotors to personal garages scanning personal cars.

Tell us about yourself!

Reactions: kevin pritchett

kevin pritchett

Dec 31, 2016
Las Vegas
I have been doing pest control and plant healthcare for 19 years.
I taught ballroom dancing for Arthur Murray dance studios after high school.
I learned how to blow glass back in 2000 while on sabbatical in Eugene, Oregon.
Other than that I like to try and fix stuff when it breaks..

Scott Jackson

Recognized Member
Jan 10, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
IT guy for 8 years now - before that, I did Automotive parts for 12 years. Starting at Napa, then dealerships, then Performance and Off-Road, then Tire/Wheel and suspension lifts/lowers. So, I know a few things about Computers and cars :)

Reactions: Jim Smola

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
IT guy for 8 years now - before that, I did Automotive parts for 12 years. Starting at Napa, then dealerships, then Performance and Off-Road, then Tire/Wheel and suspension lifts/lowers. So, I know a few things about Computers and cars :)

And we are very happy that you are here!!

fowldarr

Apr 26, 2018
Looks like I'm not the only one in Healthcare. 20 years in healthcare, doing everything from cleaning floors, watching monitors in the ICU, Quality and Risk Management (Jim, I see you up there bud), but I've been administration for the past 5 years. Currently a CAO (CEO with a different title) of a small hospital on the Oregon Coast.

BenK

Feb 27, 2018
Civil engineer. I work for a consulting firm and mostly do water/waste water design and rehab work.

mulze42

Known Member
Oct 10, 2017
Formerly a controls systems field service engineer based in Minneapolis for the NA leader in industrial automation. Now just a ho-hum applications sales engineer for a sanitary cleaning OEM building CIP and COP washers in the southern WI area.

Trideyota

Recognized Member
Dec 31, 2017
Telluride, CO
Road and Bridge Supervisor . I maintain over three hundred miles of road and plow high mountain passes in southwest Colorado. Maintain a fleet of trucks, graders, bulldozers, backhoes and excavators. Also hold a Colorado plumbers license.