Do all Platinums have remote start?

JEDEYE

Familiar Member
Jun 22, 2020
Kansas City, MO
Vehicle Drivetrain
4wd
Vehicle Year
Just by chance found out that my 2014 Toyota Sequoia Platinum has factory remote start. Do all Platinums come with it, or was it something that a previous owner of mine had installed?

JEDEYE

Familiar Member
Jun 22, 2020
Kansas City, MO
Ok, so I was reading some other forums and someone was complaining about the factory remote start on their 2020 Sequoia TRD Pro. They said that it works fine, but when they unlock the doors, the engine shuts off. They very clearly listed exactly how they remotely start the vehicle (instructions below) and even though I figured it was a long shot, I tried it on mine and the doggone thing started! I was floored! I have already looked into how much it will cost to add this feature to my Sequoia, and it freaking already HAS it!

https://www.toyotavacaville.com/blog/how-to-start-your-toyota-with-remote-engine-start/

If you have a 2nd Gen, please try this and let me know if yours starts. It's easy and costs you nothing to check.

Thank you.

JEDEYE

Familiar Member
Jun 22, 2020
Kansas City, MO
Do all Sequoias have this feature that I would consider mostly useless? If I turn the key to the start position and let it go, the starter continues to crank until it starts. Does yours do it? My old 2003 4Runner did. Please let me know.

JFG

Oct 9, 2020
Just by chance found out that my 2014 Toyota Sequoia Platinum has factory remote start. Do all Platinums come with it, or was it something that a previous owner of mine had installed?
We just got a 2014 and it has remote start that needs to be reset up. But the previous owner had it put in after delivery by the Toyota dealer. I don’t think it was an option then because she would have automatically gotten it. She didn’t miss any other option!

Reactions: JEDEYE

JEDEYE

Familiar Member
Jun 22, 2020
Kansas City, MO
We just got a 2014 and it has remote start that needs to be reset up. But the previous owner had it put in after delivery by the Toyota dealer. I don’t think it was an option then because she would have automatically gotten it. She didn’t miss any other option!
Is it a Platinum?

JFG

Oct 9, 2020
There is something special that attaches to the battery PLUS the directions are on a plastic key tag (basic 2 pushes then hold to start). Previous had a new battery put in and they overlooked putting the “special something” back on. I’ll have it corrected soon and update you. Toyota dealership was worthless all around when we got a new key fob. They swore up and down it didn’t have a RS - and they put it in lol.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 21
Reactions: JEDEYE

JEDEYE

Familiar Member
Jun 22, 2020
Kansas City, MO
2008 platinum no go
Wow. Did you buy it new? If not, I wonder if it was disabled. A friend of mine bought a Sequoia Platinum in 2008 brand new and it had it. He traded it in on a 2017 Sequoia Platinum (same exterior and interior colors as his old one) and that one came with remote start, too.

GiantTree'11

Jan 29, 2022
Do all Sequoias have this feature that I would consider mostly useless? If I turn the key to the start position and let it go, the starter continues to crank until it starts. Does yours do it? My old 2003 4Runner did. Please let me know.
2011 platinum here and mine does also have the "auto-start" feature, which is engaged just by bumping the key to the start position and releasing. You don't have to hold it until it turns over like you do on my 98 T100.