Do All 2Gen’s have Locking Diffs?

NM3_Jones

Jun 27, 2021
Vehicle Drivetrain
4wd
Vehicle Year
Heard this from a sales man, was the first I’d heard of it…anyone know what the specs are or a good resource would be to find this?

bleesersprint

Jan 5, 2020
Heard this from a sales man, was the first I’d heard of it…anyone know what the specs are or a good resource would be to find this?

4WD models have a CENTER locking diff that evenly distributes power between the front and rear wheels. This is helpful but a far cry from an locking AXLE diff.

I do not believe any Sequoia has a locking rear diff as my beloved Series 100 Land Cruiser did. The new TRD Sequoias might have one though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NM3_Jones

Jun 27, 2021
Awesome, thank you for the info. I found the answer after I posted the thread.
I’m curious if there’s options for adding lockers aftermarket to these rigs or not? Most things I’ve found only relate to the Tundra’s…haven’t done a deep dive to be sure, but my preliminary observation is it might not be doable with the stock Torsin transfer case….anyone know?

nelsenderson

Aug 18, 2021
All these answers are correct. Sequoia's have 3 diffs (front, rear, center), of which the only one that locks is the center diff, which has a dedicated lock button on the front console. The front and rear diffs do not lock, HOWEVER, they have three other systems working for them as a Limited Slip Diff:

- TRAC: on by default; only works on rear wheels to prevent slippage; works by reducing throttle; uses ABS system for wheel speed difference between front and rear wheels
- VSC: on by default; works on all wheels to reduce oversteer and understeer; works by applying brakes to the left or the right wheels and reducing throttle; uses ABS system for wheel speed and a steering position sensor for intended path.
- AUTO LSD: off by default; same as TRAC, but the intended use is for low speeds when some wheel slip is okay; it will allow the engine to produce power while also using brakes to reduce slippage.

Pretty confusing. AUTO LSD is only useful for when you're stuck and rear wheels are spinning and you're trying to get free (e.g. boat ramp, rear wheels in a ditch). VSC is to prevent understeer/oversteer, and TRAC is like AUTO LSD but for normal driving conditions where you might encounter slippage on the main drive wheels (the rear).

--Chris N.

NM3_Jones

Jun 27, 2021
All these answers are correct. Sequoia's have 3 diffs (front, rear, center), of which the only one that locks is the center diff, which has a dedicated lock button on the front console. The front and rear diffs do not lock, HOWEVER, they have three other systems working for them as a Limited Slip Diff:

- TRAC: on by default; only works on rear wheels to prevent slippage; works by reducing throttle; uses ABS system for wheel speed difference between front and rear wheels
- VSC: on by default; works on all wheels to reduce oversteer and understeer; works by applying brakes to the left or the right wheels and reducing throttle; uses ABS system for wheel speed and a steering position sensor for intended path.
- AUTO LSD: off by default; same as TRAC, but the intended use is for low speeds when some wheel slip is okay; it will allow the engine to produce power while also using brakes to reduce slippage.

Pretty confusing. AUTO LSD is only useful for when you're stuck and rear wheels are spinning and you're trying to get free (e.g. boat ramp, rear wheels in a ditch). VSC is to prevent understeer/oversteer, and TRAC is like AUTO LSD but for normal driving conditions where you might encounter slippage on the main drive wheels (the rear).

--Chris N.
Thanks for the breakdown of the systems. It’s confusing as hell to be honest. Lol. I had to use the Auto LSD/Center Lock a couple weekends ago on a gnarley off-road trail. Truck made it. It basically I turned off the VSC and the TRAC and used 4-Lo and the center lock button…seemed to get the job done…‍♂️

Reactions: RemoteBound

nelsenderson

Aug 18, 2021
Thanks for the breakdown of the systems. It’s confusing as hell to be honest. Lol. I had to use the Auto LSD/Center Lock a couple weekends ago on a gnarley off-road trail. Truck made it. It basically I turned off the VSC and the TRAC and used 4-Lo and the center lock button…seemed to get the job done…‍♂
Glad I could help. Coming from an AWD Pilot, with only a magnetic-clutch-driven rear locker and a "Disable Traction" button - this is a whole new world. Gotta know what you're working with and how to use it.

--Chris N.

Reactions: RemoteBound

EliSeq

Dec 23, 2022

--Chris N.
Almost correct, in 4Lo with centre diff locked, the Sequoia also has A-Trac (not selectable as in the 4Runner for example), which is the same system that's in several other off-road optioned Toyotas (Prado, LC200 and 300, certain 4Runner and Tacoma models).

Last edited: