DIY ditch light brackets.

McConnell-Hand

Feb 23, 2017
Land of entrapment. Albuquerque NM
I am making this thread to show how I made some quick brackets for ditch lights. By no means are these pretty but they are strong and they work great.
dl2.jpg
The bracket I bent out of, I think, a .18 inch by 1.5 inch wide piece of steel. I had about 2 feet of it from another project. But I used a thin piece of aluminum to shape it how I wanted and then to get the curve right for it to fit between the window corner and upper fender.
dl3.jpg
This bolt that holds the top part of the fender, behind the door, is my mounting point. It is tight enough between the body panels that the bracket does not move at all. With the door shut you cant tell its there. It does not block the hood at all or affect the door closing or anything. Again, not pretty, but I am very pleased with them.
dl1.jpg
I have the lights angled enough outward for about 180 degrees of light from the front of the truck. So when we are out on back roads with all our lights on we have full coverage of everything in front and the sides.
the lights are just some floods from amazon. I have a matching set I mounted in the stock fog light housings. Each of those lights is rated at 1800 lumen. Then I have a 20 inch bar rated at 27000 lumen. To top it off I did an led upgrade for the headlights. with the brights they are 8000 lumen each. Now these are internet numbers, but all totaled it is roughly 50,000 lumen. I do not have the tech to truly measure it. But When my wife and kids all get excited to turn all the "sunshine" on (my 4 year olds line) It is bright enough to almost be obnoxious, almost. :):D

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC
I am making this thread to show how I made some quick brackets for ditch lights. By no means are these pretty but they are strong and they work great.
View attachment 360
The bracket I bent out of, I think, a .18 inch by 1.5 inch wide piece of steel. I had about 2 feet of it from another project. But I used a thin piece of aluminum to shape it how I wanted and then to get the curve right for it to fit between the window corner and upper fender.
View attachment 362
This bolt that holds the top part of the fender, behind the door, is my mounting point. It is tight enough between the body panels that the bracket does not move at all. With the door shut you cant tell its there. It does not block the hood at all or affect the door closing or anything. Again, not pretty, but I am very pleased with them.
View attachment 361
I have the lights angled enough outward for about 180 degrees of light from the front of the truck. So when we are out on back roads with all our lights on we have full coverage of everything in front and the sides.
the lights are just some floods from amazon. I have a matching set I mounted in the stock fog light housings. Each of those lights is rated at 1800 lumen. Then I have a 20 inch bar rated at 27000 lumen. To top it off I did an led upgrade for the headlights. with the brights they are 8000 lumen each. Now these are internet numbers, but all totaled it is roughly 50,000 lumen. I do not have the tech to truly measure it. But When my wife and kids all get excited to turn all the "sunshine" on (my 4 year olds line) It is bright enough to almost be obnoxious, almost. :):D

Man am I so happy that you posted this how to thread up. This is hands down the best idea I have seen for ditch lights. Thanks and I will be using this setup on my truck very soon. I plan to put my Baja Designs Squadron Sports up in that position.

Last edited:

Boba Fett

Jul 4, 2019
Sweet Mod!! I will be installing this soon. Thank you for the great mounting location. You rock!!