1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dampness in rear cargo area

Discussion in '1Gen General Maintenance' started by Whocares, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Whocares

Whocares Member

Hello,

Wondering if anybody else is experiencing some dampness (the area is about a foot long, from the base of the hatch, and goes just about from left to right, nice rectangular shape) in the rear cargo area. I also keep a weather tech mat and curious if maybe the mat is retaining some moisture or there's a leak someplace. The headliner above the cargo area is dry. Thanks in advance

2. pnwbasic

pnwbasic New Member

I had this same issue. I was getting a stale wet smell. I finally traced it to the back trunk underneath a big “bug out/emergency kit” Rubbermaid bin I have in the back. There was moisture collected under the bin and the carpet mat was wet. I think there may have been condensation on the bottom of the box when I put it in but I have no clue really where it’s coming from. Do you have anything in the back?

3. Whocares

Whocares Member

Yes. I have tons of gear. Maybe I'll offload everything and see if I still have this issue. I replaced the weatherstripping (~$100) no luck. Threw a towel underneath to help soak up some moisture.

I called weather tech and they've never heard anything like that before. Thanks