Dampness in rear cargo area

Whocares

Recognized Member
Mar 28, 2018
Hello,

Wondering if anybody else is experiencing some dampness (the area is about a foot long, from the base of the hatch, and goes just about from left to right, nice rectangular shape) in the rear cargo area. I also keep a weather tech mat and curious if maybe the mat is retaining some moisture or there's a leak someplace. The headliner above the cargo area is dry. Thanks in advance

pnwbasic

Aug 8, 2018
I had this same issue. I was getting a stale wet smell. I finally traced it to the back trunk underneath a big “bug out/emergency kit” Rubbermaid bin I have in the back. There was moisture collected under the bin and the carpet mat was wet. I think there may have been condensation on the bottom of the box when I put it in but I have no clue really where it’s coming from. Do you have anything in the back?

Whocares

Recognized Member
Mar 28, 2018
Yes. I have tons of gear. Maybe I'll offload everything and see if I still have this issue. I replaced the weatherstripping (~$100) no luck. Threw a towel underneath to help soak up some moisture.

I called weather tech and they've never heard anything like that before. Thanks

JuneBugg

Jan 22, 2019
My 2005 has a bad leak above the tailgate. I've removed the plastic trim which houses the interior cargo light and located the leak dripping from a seam in the metal above it. I cannot for the life of me determine where the water is entering. I've removed the 3rd break light bezel (no rear spoiler), but it was dry behind. I thought the rubber boot covering the wires for the third break light may be cracked or seal compromised, but the wires are dry under the trim panel. The weather strip seems intact as well.

Any other experiences or suggestions for this? Thank you.

155MPH

Sep 27, 2018
Same issue. Pulled the carpet and found a good bit of coolant from the rear heater core. Going to investigate more this weekend and will update with a solution.

Floridarider

Oct 20, 2021
i’ve had the same problem for a long time and have recently discovered the leak.

I circled the drip in yellow.

I found where the water was leaking. It was in the upper right hand part of the rear where the roof meets the side panel. The sealant from the factory had cracked and was water was draining to the inside.

602A3C00-EBB7-4FE9-9316-38BA42E0137E.jpegAAC029A9-E1A4-4A9F-B3D9-78DDAAA70EB4.jpeg
I hope this helps.