Cleaning Engine Bay

TreyG870

Apr 24, 2017
I like to spray mine down with a de-greaser like Greased Lighting while the engine is cold. Let it sit for 5 minutes or so. Then I spray that off with low pressure water, avoiding the electronics. I then close the hood and start the engine. I let it run for twenty minutes or so to help steam it. After that I'll go back in with a towel and get up any pooling and wipe down any problem spots.

It's also a good idea to use foil or plastic to cover the bits that might be sensitive to water or chemicals. Fuse boxes, Alt....etc.

Some guys like to spray their engine down with some kind of shine stuff like Armorall before the steaming process. I don't do this because I hate fiddling around with slippery parts.

One last thing. For some reason, Simple Green will cause some light corrosion if you let it sit on the motor, so I avoid that particular cleaner.

Reactions: Jim Smola

Sal R.

Very Well-Known Member
Apr 6, 2017
San Diego
I like to spray mine down with a de-greaser like Greased Lighting while the engine is cold. Let it sit for 5 minutes or so. Then I spray that off with low pressure water, avoiding the electronics. I then close the hood and start the engine. I let it run for twenty minutes or so to help steam it. After that I'll go back in with a towel and get up any pooling and wipe down any problem spots.

It's also a good idea to use foil or plastic to cover the bits that might be sensitive to water or chemicals. Fuse boxes, Alt....etc.

Some guys like to spray their engine down with some kind of shine stuff like Armorall before the steaming process. I don't do this because I hate fiddling around with slippery parts.

One last thing. For some reason, Simple Green will cause some light corrosion if you let it sit on the motor, so I avoid that particular cleaner.

Used purple power. Followed instructions above. Worked like a charm. Probably need a round two, but engine bay is clean...ish.

Thanks!

Reactions: TreyG870

Jim Smola

Staff member
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2016
Inman SC

I follow this same procedure and it works like a charm. Awesome!!

Reactions: TreyG870

Rhodey

Feb 25, 2017
This video is pretty long, but it's an awesome how-to for cleaning the engine compartment.

PhillH

Jan 13, 2019
I will add from personal experience. When I got mine the engine was spotless, the dealer had obviously cleaned it, and they didn't spray that shiny crap all over it that collects a bunch a grime either. Then after having it a few weeks and going all the routine maintenance I always do after buying a new used car, I discovered that there was some slight pooled water in the spark plug sockets starting to rust the spark plugs. I'd hate to find that after years. try to keep high pressure spray from the spark plugs.

BillO

Sep 10, 2019
Who has done it? Any how-to's or tips?

Never done it before and mine is pretty dingy...
I second that video.. He does some good stuff and i followed this and my engine look great for an 03 in New England

Jim M

Nov 24, 2021
I also followed the same and it came out great. Also had some rust on the 4.7L logo shroud, so had to wire brush it and rust proof and paint it. Too hard to mask off the letters, and the brief attempt to dremel them silver did not work, so now that shroud is all semi-gloss black. I also removed the battery in order to clean up the tray, and since I needed to service the MAF, just removed the whole airbox and returned it thoroughly cleaned. With the airbox off, I inserted one of those rubber block off plugs plumbers use to keep H2O out of the throttle intake. With the engine and fuse box covered, it allowed me to use a running hose (no sprayer) on the perimeter. Came out great.