Catalytic Converter + Exhaust System

alonsoperez91

Nov 5, 2019
Hi everyone - I just recently purchased a 2003 Toyota Sequoia 4WD Ltd. with 200k miles. Definitely needs a little TLC but my only plans with it are to shuttle my friend and I on ski trips on the East Coast. I will post a build thread soon once I've taken care of a few things.

Anyways, I bought it knowing that there was something going on with the exhaust system as it sounded like a couple leaks were present. I brought it to a Meineke in New Jersey and they told me my cats were shot and exhaust as well - Total replacement, parts + labor would cost $3000k. He may be quoting Toyota OEM parts since I've seen aftermarket cats/catback systems for less than that.

My question to you guys - Have any of you replaced your cats or exhaust systems? Any recommendations on brands that you like or think are good quality (Borla, Gibson, MF)? I live in NY so i'm going to have to get a CARB compliant cat that doesn't trip the CEL, and ideally I'd like to hear a quieter sound around town but a nice growl when I hit the gas.

Also, have any of you replaced the cats / exhaust yourself and is it possible for a relative newbie to do? I'm willing to roll up the sleeves and put in the time if it's just a matter of that (and little technical skills).

Thanks guys

Alonso

Leon M

May 2, 2018
I'm interested in hearing what people have done as well. I've noticed a rotten egg smell when mine is under load and I have heard that indicates the cats are about done.

03Yoda

Nov 24, 2019
Chicago, Il
I took mine to a local discount muffler shop where they cut out old pipes and one of the failing cats and welded in new ( saving co2 sections) . Whole repair was about 500$. After which, I took of on a 4000 mile trip which further cleaned everything out and now at 260k it runs like new

Alex Horvat

Nov 29, 2017
I have magnaflow cats and cat back and they sound great. Not crazy loud or anything. I didn't do it myself as the brackets were all rusted out.

j.hollis

Apr 11, 2020
Did you just go back with as close to stock as available or as cheap as possible? I'm in same boat... @200K plus with rusted out hangers. Also where did you say that shop is bc all that for 500 bucks sounds cheap!!

I took mine to a local discount muffler shop where they cut out old pipes and one of the failing cats and welded in new ( saving co2 sections) . Whole repair was about 500$. After which, I took of on a 4000 mile trip which further cleaned everything out and now at 260k it runs like new

03Yoda

Nov 24, 2019
Chicago, Il
Did you just go back with as close to stock as available or as cheap as possible? I'm in same boat... @200K plus with rusted out hangers. Also where did you say that shop is bc all that for 500 bucks sounds cheap!!

Local dive on East Side of Chicago, they just used their standard replacement cat and replaced the cracked pipes making sure they cut and save the original CO2 bunt for the new pipe. Months later everything working as it should.

Jgrauman

Feb 18, 2019
I'm interested in hearing what people have done as well. I've noticed a rotten egg smell when mine is under load and I have heard that indicates the cats are about done.
Not necessarily. Sometimes different brand gas does that. Just depends on the sulfur content. If it's only under load, the cat is doing its job

Robert04sequoia4X4

Aug 5, 2020
So I’m out in California got to love the restrictions. I was going to get OEM cats but as always too expensive so I changed my cats in 2014 to some Magnaflow cats direct fit. Have not had any issues.

Reactions: Swedishauto